News from: BBC, France24 & NYT
- Mexico sues US gun manufacturers over arms traffickingon 2021-08-05 at 09:11
The lawsuit accuses companies of fuelling bloodshed through negligent business practices.
- Migrant van crash kills at least 10 in Texason 2021-08-05 at 08:13
Officials say 30 people were onboard when their vehicle hit a metal pole and stop sign.
- Mexico Sues Gun Companies in U.S., Accusing Them of Fueling Violenceby Natalie Kitroeff and Oscar Lopez on 2021-08-05 at 05:18
The government accuses gun makers and suppliers of knowingly flooding the market with firearms attractive to drug cartels.
- Indigenous people face a unique risk that is poorly understood, a W.H.O. official said.by Daniel Politi on 2021-08-05 at 03:57
Most countries in the Americas collect no Covid-19 figures on Indigenous people, although that “data is essential to guide effective policies,” the official said.
- Mattel creates Barbie doll of scientist who designed Oxford coronavirus vaccineby NEWS WIRES on 2021-08-05 at 02:43
British coronavirus vaccine developer Sarah Gilbert has many science accolades to her credit but now shares an honor with Beyonce, Marilyn Monroe and Eleanor Roosevelt: a Barbie doll in her likeness.
- Mexico sues US gunmakers in unprecedented bid to stop arms traffickingby NEWS WIRES on 2021-08-04 at 23:56
Mexico said it filed a lawsuit against major US gunmakers in a Boston court on Wednesday over illegal cross-border arms flows that it blamed for fueling rampant drug-related violence.
- US working on plan to reopen to fully vaccinated foreign visitorsby NEWS WIRES on 2021-08-04 at 22:35
The United States, which closed its borders to much of the world as the pandemic took hold, plans eventually to begin allowing fully vaccinated foreigners back in, a White House official said Wednesday.
- Multiple criminal investigations launched against New York Governor Cuomoby NEWS WIRES on 2021-08-04 at 22:18
Lauded nationwide last year for his no-nonsense coronavirus briefings, New York Governor Andrew Cuomo was clinging to his political life Wednesday as prosecutors opened criminal inquiries into sexual harassment allegations against the powerful Democrat.
- Elaine Thompson-Herah: Instagram blocks gold medallist who shared race winon 2021-08-04 at 21:25
The Jamaican sprinter was blocked after posting footage of her races on her Instagram account.
- Global Covid Case Total Passes 200 Millionby Marc Santora and Isabella Kwai on 2021-08-04 at 20:31
Vaccines have weakened the link between surging cases and serious illness, but in vaccine-deprived parts of the world, the deadly pattern remains.
- In Manitoba, Farmers Race to Save Cattle From Canada’s Droughtby Vjosa Isai and Brett Gundlock on 2021-08-04 at 18:18
A dry season made worse by climate change has left cow farmers with dwindling feed.
- Assassination Mastermind May Still Be at Large, Haiti’s Caretaker Leader Saysby Anatoly Kurmanaev on 2021-08-04 at 16:28
Prime Minister Ariel Henry says he believes that none of the more than 40 people detained in the killing of President Jovenel Moïse have the capacity to organize the complex plot.
- The Indigenous Archaeologist Looking for Residential School Graves in Canadaby Ian Austen on 2021-08-04 at 14:40
Kisha Supernant has brought radar technology to the search for burial sites in Canada while she works to reshape her profession’s relationship with Indigenous communities.
- MV Asphalt Princess: Suspected hijackers leave ship off UAEon 2021-08-04 at 06:56
Men who boarded a Panama-flagged bitumen tanker have now left the vessel, officials say.
- Martine Moïse, Haitian President’s Widow, Recounts Assassinationby Frances Robles on 2021-08-04 at 05:11
Struck by gunfire, Martine Moïse lay bleeding as the assassins who killed her husband ransacked her room. Now, she says, the F.B.I. must find the mastermind behind the attack.
- Haitians Investigating President’s Death, Under Threat, Go Into Hidingby Anatoly Kurmanaev on 2021-08-04 at 05:10
The officials, two court clerks and an investigative judge who collected evidence in President Jovenel Moïse’s assassination, are now in hiding.
- New York City to require proof of vaccination for some indoor activitiesby NEWS WIRES on 2021-08-04 at 04:16
New York on Tuesday announced the introduction of a de facto vaccine pass for some public spaces, as China’s Wuhan said it would test all 11 million residents after the coronavirus returned to the place where it first emerged.
- CDC announces new eviction moratorium till early October for most of USby NEWS WIRES on 2021-08-04 at 01:29
Under pressure from progressive Democrats, US health authorities on Tuesday declared a new moratorium on tenant evictions until October in much of the country, citing public health risks posed by the Covid-19 pandemic.
- Biden urges NY Governor to resign after sexual harassment investigationby NEWS WIRES on 2021-08-03 at 21:35
US President Joe Biden joined leading Democrats Tuesday in calling on powerful New York Governor Andrew Cuomo to resign after an independent investigation concluded that he sexually harassed multiple women.
- Covid: Biden to continue Trump’s Title 42 migrant expulsionson 2021-08-03 at 18:23
The White House plans to continue the controversial Title 42 policy to help combat Covid-19.
- ‘We’re Living in Hell’: Inside Fresnillo, Mexico’s Most Terrified Cityby Oscar Lopez on 2021-08-03 at 17:03
Fresnillo feels to residents overrun by violence and paralyzed by fear, a testament to the failure of Mexico’s government to tackle organized crime.
- New York Governor Cuomo ‘sexually harassed multiple women’, NY attorney general saysby NEWS WIRES on 2021-08-03 at 16:11
New York Governor Andrew Cuomo “sexually harassed multiple women”, including employees, New York’s Attorney General Letitia James said Tuesday as she announced the findings of an independent investigation into allegations against the powerful Democrat.
- Jamaica’s Thompson-Herah completes sprint doubleon 2021-08-03 at 14:40
Elaine Thompson-Herah confirms her place among the pantheon of sprint greats as she secures an unprecedented women’s 100m-200m ‘double-double’ with a sensational victory over the longer distance in Tokyo.