News from: BBC & CNN
- Accused stalker purposely crashed stolen SUVon 2021-07-29 at 12:35
- Neighbors bring complaint against baron 2021-07-29 at 12:35
- Tree threatens family’s home with no help in sighton 2021-07-29 at 12:35
- Police: Bus rider smashed window over maskon 2021-07-29 at 12:35
- Town closes beaches after sharks spottedon 2021-07-29 at 12:35
- Teen from TX lured to FL by GA felonon 2021-07-29 at 12:35
- Good Samaritans break truck windows to free driveron 2021-07-29 at 12:35
- Seahorse surprises staff by giving birthon 2021-07-29 at 12:35
- Police: MD man arrested for killing 6-yoon 2021-07-29 at 12:35
- Ho-Chunk Nation sues its insurers over denials of claims over pandemic losseson 2021-07-29 at 12:35
- Two Colorado officers arrested in use of force incident police chief calls a ‘very despicable act’on 2021-07-29 at 12:35
- Fans sell Lollapalooza tickets due to COVIDon 2021-07-29 at 12:35
- Developer hopes to save historic IA propertyon 2021-07-29 at 12:35
- 10 women file complaints against Texans’ playeron 2021-07-29 at 12:35
- Passport delay ruins woman’s Jamaica vacationon 2021-07-29 at 12:35
- Michigan among top states in automotive makingon 2021-07-29 at 12:35
- PD issues public health announcementon 2021-07-29 at 12:35
- Dog alerts homeowner to house fireon 2021-07-29 at 12:35
- Historic Negro League Team receives well-deserved community revitalizationon 2021-07-29 at 12:35
- Tokyo Olympics: Caeleb Dressel breaks Olympic record on way to second goldon 2021-07-29 at 04:07
American Caeleb Dressel sets an Olympic record on his way to winning the men’s 100m freestyle gold as he aims to become one of the most successful swimmers at a Games.
- Former high-ranking Nxivm member who testified against Keith Raniere will not go to prisonon 2021-07-29 at 00:29
Lauren Salzman, a former high-ranking member of Nxivm who pleaded guilty to racketeering and racketeering conspiracy charges and testified against founder Keith Raniere at his 2019 trial, will avoid prison time after being sentenced by a federal judge to five years of probation and 300 hours of community service, a spokesman for the US Attorney’s Office for the Eastern District of New York confirmed to CNN.
- Covid: No quarantine for fully jabbed US and EU travellerson 2021-07-28 at 21:57
Ministers hope the rule change in England, Scotland and Wales will help reunite family and friends.
- Republican Rep. Andrew Clyde evading House mask fines, GOP colleague sayson 2021-07-28 at 21:53
Rep. Andrew Clyde, the Georgia Republican who compared scenes from January 6 to a “tourist visit,” has found a way to evade the House’s mask fines, according to one of his GOP colleagues.
- Arthur: Popular children’s show to end after 25 yearson 2021-07-28 at 21:32
US public broadcaster PBS confirmed the final episode will air in winter 2022.
- FedEx facility shooter who killed 8 was not motivated by bias, officials sayon 2021-07-28 at 21:14
Brandon Hole, the 19-year-old shooter who killed eight people in a FedEx facility earlier this year, was not motivated by racial bias or ideology, according to officials.
- Dusty Hill: ZZ Top bassist dies aged 72on 2021-07-28 at 20:51
Dusty Hill played bass for the iconic US blues rock band for more than five decades.
- Biden meets with Belarusian opposition leader at the White Houseon 2021-07-28 at 18:41
President Joe Biden met with Belarusian opposition leader Svetlana Tikhanovskaya Wednesday morning, as part of her larger campaign to ratchet up international pressure on the Lukashenko regime.
- Colorado officer arrested after threatening to shoot suspect during stopon 2021-07-28 at 17:57
The Colorado officer was filmed striking a man with his gun, saying “if you move, I will shoot you”.
- A vital Memphis bridge shut down since May due to a structural crack will partially open next weekon 2021-07-28 at 17:44
A major bridge connecting Memphis, Tennessee, to Arkansas will open to traffic in one direction on Monday, more than two months after a crack forced its closure, Tennessee transportation officials said Wednesday.
- Critical jobs are going unfilled. 5 things workers want from employers nowon 2021-07-28 at 17:03
As the economy continues to reopen, labor market turbulence is on the rise. Workers are leaving their jobs in favor of new careers or locations, and some aren’t going back to work at all, leaving critical jobs unfilled.
- Remington: US gunmaker offers $33m to Sandy Hook shooting victimson 2021-07-28 at 16:08
Victims’ families from Sandy Hook elementary school sued Remington for the sale of the rifle.
- The car market is gonzo. Here’s what to do if you have to buy one anywayon 2021-07-28 at 15:26
Pat Shozo has been trying to buy a used car for his son who’s going to attend college in the fall. But after looking for more than three months, Shozo, who lives near Los Angeles, said he’s ready to give up.
- The pandemic killed traditional menus and brought QR codes back to lifeon 2021-07-28 at 15:23
Restaurant menus got a makeover thanks to Covid: Now, placing your order means simply whipping out your phone and scanning a Quick Response code.
- Rapper DaBaby apologises for HIV comments as Boohoo drops himon 2021-07-28 at 14:38
And Boohoo has ended its clothing deal with the rapper as the latest critic of his onstage comments.
- Tokyo Olympics: Simone Biles out of individual all-around finalon 2021-07-28 at 14:30
American gymnast and four-time Olympic gold medallist Simone Biles withdraws from the individual all-around final Tokyo Olympics.
- Liz Cheney rebukes GOP leadership after first Jan. 6 panel hearingon 2021-07-28 at 13:35
Rep. Liz Cheney, one of just two Republicans on the select committee investigating the January 6 insurrection, excoriated her party’s leadership on Tuesday for its continued defense of former President Donald Trump’s role in the attack on the US Capitol.
- Gilgamesh tablet: US authorities take ownership of artefacton 2021-07-28 at 13:28
The Gilgamesh Dream Tablet was imported illegally into the US before being bought by Hobby Lobby.
- Bob Odenkirk: Better Call Saul star collapses on set of Breaking Bad spin-offon 2021-07-28 at 09:33
The US actor was reportedly rushed to hospital in Albuquerque after being taken ill in New Mexico.
- Joey Jordison: Slipknot founding drummer dies aged 46on 2021-07-28 at 08:03
Jordison was a member of the mask-wearing heavy metal band and also performed with the likes of Metallica.
- Capitol riot: Policeman tells 6 January hearing he feared he would dieon 2021-07-28 at 03:54
Officers on duty when Trump supporters stormed the US Capitol give tearful testimony at an inquiry.
- Key moments from first hearing of Capitol riot inquiryon 2021-07-27 at 23:11
Police officers gave emotional testimony about their struggles during the riot to US lawmakers.
- Canadian police reveal decade-long Manitoba residential school inquiryon 2021-07-27 at 22:54
Police are investigating abuse claims at a former school that sought to assimilate indigenous children.
- Wu-Tang Clan album bought by Martin Shkreli sold by US governmenton 2021-07-27 at 22:49
The album was handed over as part of a $7.4m deal with a notorious former drug firm executive.
- Atlanta spa shootings: Georgia man pleads guiltyon 2021-07-27 at 15:54
Robert Aaron Long, charged with killing eight people in March, says he murdered four of the victims.
- Capitol Hill police officer in tears during testimonyon 2021-07-27 at 14:41
Officer Gonell gave an emotional statement during the first day of the US Capitol riot inquiry.
- Man in contraption washes up in Florida after trying to run on wateron 2021-07-27 at 11:45
Reza Baluchi was trying to “run” 1,000 miles north, but ended up 30 miles south of his start point.
- Britney Spears officially requests new conservator to replace her fatheron 2021-07-27 at 09:03
The star’s new lawyer says her father’s control of her career is “insane and depressing”.
- Miami tower collapse: Final victim identified from rubbleon 2021-07-27 at 05:53
The family of Estelle Hedaya say they have confirmation she is the 98th victim of the Surfside disaster.
- Analysis: The most unhinged Trump rant about the 2020 election yeton 2021-07-27 at 03:20
Donald Trump has set a pretty high bar for himself when it comes to wild rants. And yet, over the weekend in a speech to Turning Point USA in Arizona, he managed to outdo himself.
- Hemingway ‘lookalike’ chosen in Florida conteston 2021-07-26 at 20:46
A 63-year-old won the Key West, Florida contest for his likeness to the award-winning author.
- How US military pullback in Iraq could benefit Iranon 2021-07-26 at 19:20
The withdrawal of remaining US combat troops could help Iran achieve its ambitions.
- Wildfires spread from California to Nevadaon 2021-07-25 at 10:58
Fire crews are battling extreme temperatures to control wildfires in California and Nevada.
- Gender disparities still vex Tokyo Olympic Gameson 2021-07-23 at 20:15
From breastfeeding to representation, women are still frustrated at most ‘gender balanced’ Games.
- US fires: Inside a US fire truck driving through a wildfireon 2021-07-23 at 11:13
As burning ash pelts their vehicle, video shows firefighters in California drive through the flames.
- Coronavirus: Was US money used to fund risky research in China?on 2021-07-22 at 23:06
What’s the row about virus research in China between a prominent Republican and Dr Anthony Fauci?
- A weekend in America: Shootings in Washington spotlight growing problemon 2021-07-19 at 21:45
A stadium was sent into panic and a six-year-old was killed in two of the weekend’s worst shootings.
- Moment New York mum saves five-year-old from kidnapon 2021-07-18 at 00:19
The mother pulled her son from a car after he was taken from her in broad daylight in the New York City.
- The Broadway dancer whose lockdown business bloomedon 2021-07-17 at 23:22
When Covid closed New York theatres, dancer Robbie Fairchild started a business that put down roots.
- Finding ‘Grace’: Murder, DNA and ancestryon 2021-07-16 at 00:05
How a novel use of DNA and ancestry websites is helping police uncover clues in cold case murders.
- Canada residential schools: ‘Six years old, I was imprisoned here’on 2021-07-15 at 23:25
As searches for unmarked graves continue, survivors reflect on a dark legacy of residential schools.
- Why black TikTok creators have gone on strikeon 2021-07-15 at 00:13
Backlash for “cultural appropriation” on the video-making app may mean no viral dances for a while.
- Powerful fire tornado in California is latest extreme weather signon 2021-07-09 at 18:43
The vortex of smoke and flame is one of the latest signs of extreme weather threatening the US West.
- Los Angeles fireworks explosion: Truck goes up in flames as police seize fireworkson 2021-07-01 at 11:43
A truck filled with 2,000kg of fireworks goes up in flames, injuring at least 17 people in Los Angeles.
- Immigration: Is US-Mexico border seeing a surge in migrants?on 2021-07-01 at 00:46
Donald Trump says migrants are crossing the border like the US “has never seen”. We’ve checked the numbers.
- Miami building collapse: ‘People went to sleep, and then they died’on 2021-06-30 at 23:34
Both the mother and grandmother of Pablo Rodríguez were in the building when it fell. Now, he wants answers.
- The Yankees’ 70-year-old bat girlon 2021-06-29 at 23:31
Decades after she was told girls couldn’t do the job, she got a chance to live her childhood dream.
- Kamala Harris visits US border amid migrant crisison 2021-06-26 at 01:29
The US vice-president appeals for an end to “finger-pointing” amid a bipartisan backlash.
- Miami building collapse: ‘I’m not losing my hope’on 2021-06-25 at 18:29
As search and rescue efforts continue, friends and family desperately await signs from the missing.
- Katty Kay: How 100 days turned into five years of funon 2021-06-25 at 16:04
Katty Kay leaves the BBC after nearly three decades of service, including five years on Beyond 100 Days.
- Katty Kay: ‘It’s been a privilege to sit in this chair’on 2021-06-24 at 23:57
Legendary anchor Katty Kay signs off from the BBC for the final time.
- ‘It’s the craziest thing I ever heard in my life’on 2021-06-24 at 12:15
This video was sent by one of the first eyewitnesses on the scene of the Miami building collapse.
- Biden: Insurrectionists ‘need nukes’ to take on US governmenton 2021-06-24 at 00:47
The president says rebels would need more than guns to take on the nuclear-armed US government.
- Runaway cows escape California meatpacking planton 2021-06-23 at 17:56
About 40 cows made a run for it and wandered through the town of Pico Rivera.
- US migrant camp ‘kids feel like they’re in prison’on 2021-06-23 at 01:17
More than 2,000 migrant children are being detained in an overcrowded camp in Texas ridden with disease.
- ‘Heartbreaking’ conditions in US migrant child campon 2021-06-23 at 00:51
An investigation by the BBC has uncovered alarming conditions at a child migrant camp in Texas.
- Nancy Pelosi: ‘Sanctity of the vote is very much in peril’on 2021-06-22 at 22:15
The House speaker tells the BBC that American democracy is in peril if voting rights reform fails.
- New York mayoral election: What voters want from a new mayoron 2021-06-22 at 01:08
Learn what’s at stake as voters head to the polls to choose a new leader for New York City.
- Why US millennials are quitting big citieson 2021-06-17 at 22:24
Remote workers are freer than ever to relocate, especially when smaller cities dangle incentives.
- PM gifts photo of Edinburgh anti-slavery mural to Bidenon 2021-06-11 at 15:18
A framed photograph of an Edinburgh mural of Frederick Douglass was among gifts exchanged by the leaders.
- Kim’s Convenience stars decry ‘racist’ storylines and lack of diversityon 2021-06-08 at 18:09
The Kim’s Convenience stars say storylines were “overtly racist” and their pay is “horsepoop”.
- The couple inspired by Tulsa’s black entrepreneurson 2021-05-31 at 23:19
Obum and his wife Faith moved to Tulsa in 2019, inspired by the legacy of ‘Black Wall Street’.
- Growing hate crime against Asian Americanson 2021-05-30 at 23:06
The BBC’s Michelle Fleury looks at the problem of hate crime directed at Asian Americans in the US.
- Tulsa Massacre: ‘Our country may forget this history, but I cannot’on 2021-05-29 at 09:35
Viola Fletcher, a survivor of the 1921 Tulsa Massacre, calls for justice 100 years on.
- Tulsa massacre: The search for victims, 100 years onon 2021-05-26 at 23:56
Decades after white mobs razed an affluent black neighbourhood the search for bodies goes on.
- Floyd family reflects on police reform one year onon 2021-05-26 at 02:05
The anniversary of the murder of George Floyd was marked by moments of remembrance and calls for police reform.
- Global heating: Study shows impact of ‘climate racism’ in USon 2021-05-25 at 15:07
Black people in the US are subject to double the level of heat stress in cities than whites.
- George Floyd anniversary: Derek Chauvin conviction ‘nothing to celebrate’on 2021-05-25 at 09:21
The BBC’s Sandrine Lungumbu talks to three young black people in the UK, US and DR Congo about the trial.
- George Floyd death: How do I talk to my son about race?on 2021-05-23 at 23:08
A year on from the death of George Floyd, BBC presenter Eddie Nestor examines his role as a father.
- Children speak of neglect in US asylum campson 2021-05-23 at 23:03
The BBC has uncovered allegations of cold temperatures, sickness, lice and abuse, through a series of interviews with children and staff at US detention camps for children.
- George Floyd death: How US police are trying to win back truston 2021-05-21 at 20:56
A year after George Floyd’s death, it’s not just civilians who’ll be reflecting on what happened.
- Adama Traore: How George Floyd’s death energised French protestson 2021-05-19 at 19:52
New laws in France have increased police powers at a time when their use of force is under scrutiny.
- How US police training compares with the rest of the worldon 2021-05-17 at 23:39
Amid calls to improve training in the US, we examine how it compares with other developed countries.
- What is Biden doing differently at US border?on 2021-05-14 at 16:26
Democrat Joe Biden has promised to undo many of Donald Trump’s immigration policies.
- ‘Our first day of freedom on American soil’on 2021-05-07 at 23:18
Adrian Meza and his family from Nicaragua have just been released from detention by US border officials.
- Big rise in numbers of migrant children on Mexico-US borderon 2021-04-19 at 22:39
The increase from 380 to nearly 3,500 has overwhelmed local facilities in Mexico, the UN warns.
- ‘Can you help me?’ Boy found alone at the borderon 2021-04-07 at 19:47
A 10-year-old from Nicaragua woke up to find he had been abandoned by his group.
- Colombia: Migrants risking it all to cross Darien Gapon 2021-03-28 at 23:02
It takes up to 20 days, and can be deadly – but everyday hundreds try to cross the border between Panama and Colombia.
- Guatemala: Suffocated youth unafraid of a deadly journeyon 2021-03-26 at 00:21
Tougher policies and deaths on the road are unlikely to stop Guatemalans from trying to reach the US.
- Child migrants: The challenges facing Biden at the US-Mexico borderon 2021-03-24 at 23:01
A surge in migrants arriving at the US-Mexico border tests the administration’s immigration promises.
- Mexico: Risking everything for an American dreamon 2021-03-17 at 23:04
Thousands of migrants from Central America are making an arduous journey to the US border.
- Canada ‘Sixties Scoop’: Indigenous survivors map out their storieson 2020-12-14 at 00:05
Canada’s “Sixties Scoop” saw thousands of indigenous children forcibly removed from their families.
- New Christmas campaign for Canadians held in Chinaon 2020-12-10 at 01:39
The campaign is based on efforts around a similar case involving a British journalist fifty years ago.
- New Brunswick outbreak: How a smalltown doctor became a Covid pariahon 2020-11-25 at 01:23
After being labelled “patient zero”, a small-town physician in Canada was shunned.