News from: BBC & CNN
- School board mask meeting ends in fighton 2021-08-05 at 18:16
- Parents gather outside schools to protest maskson 2021-08-05 at 18:16
- Covid survivor: I got info from wrong sourceon 2021-08-05 at 18:16
- Firefighters rescue 7 dogs from fireon 2021-08-05 at 18:16
- 800+ students submit vaccine exemptions at UConnon 2021-08-05 at 18:16
- Cabin at center of legal battle goes up in flameson 2021-08-05 at 18:16
- Bikers dispute woman’s account of confrontationon 2021-08-05 at 18:16
- Family calls on elected officials to curb violenceon 2021-08-05 at 18:16
- St. Louis taxi company rejects vaccinated and masked passengerson 2021-08-05 at 18:16
- Man uses giant skeleton to make vaccination pleaon 2021-08-05 at 18:16
- Hundreds of dead fish found floating in lakeon 2021-08-05 at 18:16
- 400-pound statue stolen from parkon 2021-08-05 at 18:16
- Nurse explains why she decided to get vaccine nowon 2021-08-05 at 18:16
- Killer 6-foot cobra possibly on the looseon 2021-08-05 at 18:16
- 61 students quarantined after being exposedon 2021-08-05 at 18:16
- Search for vehicle in missing 5-year-old caseon 2021-08-05 at 18:16
- Officer fired after video shows him kicking womanon 2021-08-05 at 18:16
- Andrew Cuomo faces impeachment threat as New York governoron 2021-08-05 at 17:28
Fellow Democrats are urging New York’s governor to quit or be forced out after a report into alleged harassment.
- Analysis: This Democratic leader just went off on the ‘woke’ lefton 2021-08-05 at 16:52
Hakeem Jeffries is sick of hearing from liberals carping about how Democrats — and their leaders, of which he is one — aren’t doing enough to advance progressive policies.
- ‘Embarrassing’ relay by Team USA in Tokyoon 2021-08-05 at 16:35
Team USA reel from an “embarrassing” relay display and shock hurdles defeat but there are golds in the shot put and pole vault on day 13 in Tokyo.
- California Gold Rush town ‘destroyed’ by state’s largest wildfireon 2021-08-05 at 16:08
The Dixie Fire, the largest burning in California, has razed much of the town of Greenville.
- US intervenes to protect state secrets in Saudi Crown Prince’s vendetta against former spyon 2021-08-05 at 15:30
The Justice Department has made the extremely rare move of intervening in a court case against a former top Saudi intelligence official who has been targeted by Saudi Arabia’s powerful Crown Prince, in order to protect classified intelligence secrets.
- Nearly 500 Covid cases reported in people who crowded Milwaukee Bucks Deer District during NBA playoffson 2021-08-05 at 15:25
Nearly 500 cases of Covid-19 have been reported in people who congregated in Milwaukee’s Deer District to cheer on the Milwaukee Bucks during the NBA playoffs last month.
- Cross words over New York Times puzzle changeon 2021-08-05 at 15:05
The US-based publication is cutting third party support for its popular crossword puzzles.
- Biden to announce new emissions standards, target that 50% of vehicles sold in US by 2030 are electricon 2021-08-05 at 14:42
President Joe Biden will sign an executive order Thursday that points the US auto market toward electric vehicles, announcing a new target that half of vehicles sold in the country by 2030 will be battery electric, fuel-cell electric or plug-in hybrid.
- US plans to require Covid vaccine for foreign travellerson 2021-08-05 at 13:46
Most international travellers will eventually need to be vaccinated when the US reopens borders.
- Job growth is picking up again, but the Delta spike could change thaton 2021-08-05 at 12:40
America’s job market recovery is chugging along, but worries about the Delta variant derailing progress are rampant. Even as economists anticipate the best gains since last summer in Friday’s jobs report, persistently high unemployment claims and a big miss in the private sector payroll report put a damper on the excitement.
- Climate Change: Half US cars to be zero-emission by 2030 – Bidenon 2021-08-05 at 12:29
Cars produce nearly a third of US carbon emissions and sales of electric vehicles lag behind Europe.
- Some states banning mask mandates in schools also have fewest teens vaccinatedon 2021-08-05 at 11:44
As kids head back to school this month, vaccination rates among adolescents tend to be lower in states that have banned mask mandates in schools than in states that will require masks in schools, a new CNN analysis finds.
- Former Louisville police officer pleads guilty to hitting a person in the head during an arrest in May 2020on 2021-08-05 at 11:18
A former Louisville, Kentucky, police officer has pleaded guilty to hitting a kneeling person in the head who was surrendering during an arrest in May last year, according to a statement from the Department of Justice.
- Epstein meetings a huge mistake, says Bill Gateson 2021-08-05 at 10:49
The Microsoft co-founder says he should not have given the convicted sex offender “credibility”.
- Paul Johnson: Chicago house music DJ dies at 50 after catching Covidon 2021-08-05 at 10:03
Johnson, who had a 1999 hit with Get Get Down, had been in intensive care with the virus.
- Washington NFL team bans fans from wearing Native American dresson 2021-08-05 at 09:47
The club, which dropped the name Redskins last year, says fans can no longer wear headdresses at games.
- Mexico sues US gun manufacturers over arms traffickingon 2021-08-05 at 09:11
The lawsuit accuses companies of fuelling bloodshed through negligent business practices.
- Migrant van crash kills at least 10 in Texason 2021-08-05 at 08:13
Officials say 30 people were onboard when their vehicle hit a metal pole and stop sign.
- Dallas firefighter allegedly faked his family’s Covid-19 diagnoses and took paid leave to go to a resorton 2021-08-05 at 05:45
A Dallas firefighter was charged with theft after allegedly taking paid leave for nearly a month while lying about testing positive for Covid-19.
- Major US bank delays its return to the office due to the Delta varianton 2021-08-05 at 03:22
US Bank told employees Wednesday they will no longer be due back in the office early next month because of surging Covid-19 cases.
- Freshman Rep. Cori Bush in national spotlight for her activism to fight evictionon 2021-08-05 at 01:42
Freshman Democratic Rep. Cori Bush has captured national attention for her high-profile activism after she slept on the steps of the US Capitol for several days to protest a lapse in the federal eviction moratorium amid the coronavirus pandemic.
- Disney’s Star Wars hotel comes with an out-of-this-world price tagon 2021-08-04 at 19:59
Disney revealed pricing for its new, highly anticipated Star Wars hotel on Wednesday — and the cost to immerse yourself in a galaxy far, far away for a few days will not come cheap.
- Vanguard: Investment giant to pay vaccinated workers $1,000on 2021-08-04 at 19:42
Asset manager Vanguard will reward staff who get jabbed, but it won’t mandate vaccinations.
- NBC’s Summer Olympics ratings are in free-fallon 2021-08-04 at 19:22
After pandemic-fueled delays last year, the Tokyo Olympics have gotten a lot of attention around this summer. Unfortunately for NBC, that attention has not translated to viewership.
- Covid crashed Obama’s party – should Delta change your plans?on 2021-08-04 at 19:01
As Covid changes Obama’s birthday plans we ask experts what the virus surge means for your summer.
- Andrew Cuomo: Why is the NY Governor under pressure to resign?on 2021-08-04 at 17:24
Democrats, including President Biden, have called for the New York governor to go.
- USS Bonhomme Richard fire: Suspect identified as 20-year-old Navy sailoron 2021-08-04 at 16:38
A newly unsealed warrant also reveals suspicions that fire stations on the ship were sabotaged.
- Simone Biles ‘shows how much gymnastics has changed’on 2021-08-04 at 16:18
Biles’ withdrawal shows how attitudes have changed, says former USA gymnast Dominique Moceanu.
- Andrew Cuomo: The allegations and his ‘I kiss people’ defenceon 2021-08-03 at 22:37
The NY governor shows photos of him kissing and hugging people as he denies sexual misconduct claims.
- Vauhxx Booker: Black man condemns charges over alleged race attackon 2021-08-03 at 18:51
Vauhxx Booker, who alleges two white men threatened to lynch him, is himself charged with assault.
- Covid: Biden to continue Trump’s Title 42 migrant expulsionson 2021-08-03 at 18:23
The White House plans to continue the controversial Title 42 policy to help combat Covid-19.
- September 11 attacks: What happened that day and afteron 2021-08-03 at 11:14
How the devastating 2001 plane attacks on America unfolded and how they shaped our age.
- CDC director Rochelle Walensky says vaccines worked in Provincetownon 2021-08-02 at 23:39
Rochelle Walensky says vaccines protected Provincetown amid an “immense amount of exposure”.
- Bennifer 2.0: How Jennifer Lopez and Ben Affleck got us talking againon 2021-08-02 at 23:24
How a viral photo of Jennifer Lopez and Ben Affleck exposed the internet’s lust for nostalgia.
- Covid third wave: Americans ‘scared and angry’ as pandemic worsenson 2021-08-02 at 22:44
As the Delta variant causes a rethink about risk, Americans are battling to keep a feeling of normalcy.
- From Afghan interpreter to US homeless – the long road to the American dreamon 2021-08-02 at 19:46
Thousands of Afghan interpreters have waited years to flee to the US. Arriving is a different story.
- Coronavirus: Was US money used to fund risky research in China?on 2021-08-02 at 16:01
What’s the row about virus research in China between a prominent Republican and Dr Anthony Fauci?
- Billie Eilish: Critics praise ‘defiant’ second album, Happier Than Everon 2021-07-30 at 13:24
The teen megastar’s second album, Happier Than Ever, gives an unflinching portrayal of global fame.
- Are America’s unvaccinated changing their minds?on 2021-07-30 at 00:52
Timothy lives in a county where only a third are fully jabbed – he says he regrets his choice now.
- Simone Biles: Young gymnasts comment on her withdrawalon 2021-07-29 at 20:37
The young athletes said the star showed that not everything needs to be sacrificed for titles.
- Key moments from first hearing of Capitol riot inquiryon 2021-07-27 at 23:11
Police officers gave emotional testimony about their struggles during the riot to US lawmakers.
- Capitol Hill police officer in tears during testimonyon 2021-07-27 at 14:41
Officer Gonell gave an emotional statement during the first day of the US Capitol riot inquiry.
- Hemingway ‘lookalike’ chosen in Florida conteston 2021-07-26 at 20:46
A 63-year-old won the Key West, Florida contest for his likeness to the award-winning author.
- How US military pullback in Iraq could benefit Iranon 2021-07-26 at 19:20
The withdrawal of remaining US combat troops could help Iran achieve its ambitions.
- Wildfires spread from California to Nevadaon 2021-07-25 at 10:58
Fire crews are battling extreme temperatures to control wildfires in California and Nevada.
- Gender disparities still vex Tokyo Olympic Gameson 2021-07-23 at 20:15
From breastfeeding to representation, women are still frustrated at most ‘gender balanced’ Games.
- US fires: Inside a US fire truck driving through a wildfireon 2021-07-23 at 11:13
As burning ash pelts their vehicle, video shows firefighters in California drive through the flames.
- A weekend in America: Shootings in Washington spotlight growing problemon 2021-07-19 at 21:45
A stadium was sent into panic and a six-year-old was killed in two of the weekend’s worst shootings.
- Moment New York mum saves five-year-old from kidnapon 2021-07-18 at 00:19
The mother pulled her son from a car after he was taken from her in broad daylight in the New York City.
- The Broadway dancer whose lockdown business bloomedon 2021-07-17 at 23:22
When Covid closed New York theatres, dancer Robbie Fairchild started a business that put down roots.
- Finding ‘Grace’: Murder, DNA and ancestryon 2021-07-16 at 00:05
How a novel use of DNA and ancestry websites is helping police uncover clues in cold case murders.
- Canada residential schools: ‘Six years old, I was imprisoned here’on 2021-07-15 at 23:25
As searches for unmarked graves continue, survivors reflect on a dark legacy of residential schools.
- Why black TikTok creators have gone on strikeon 2021-07-15 at 00:13
Backlash for “cultural appropriation” on the video-making app may mean no viral dances for a while.
- Powerful fire tornado in California is latest extreme weather signon 2021-07-09 at 18:43
The vortex of smoke and flame is one of the latest signs of extreme weather threatening the US West.
- Los Angeles fireworks explosion: Truck goes up in flames as police seize fireworkson 2021-07-01 at 11:43
A truck filled with 2,000kg of fireworks goes up in flames, injuring at least 17 people in Los Angeles.
- Immigration: Is US-Mexico border seeing a surge in migrants?on 2021-07-01 at 00:46
Donald Trump says migrants are crossing the border like the US “has never seen”. We’ve checked the numbers.
- Miami building collapse: ‘People went to sleep, and then they died’on 2021-06-30 at 23:34
Both the mother and grandmother of Pablo Rodríguez were in the building when it fell. Now, he wants answers.
- The Yankees’ 70-year-old bat girlon 2021-06-29 at 23:31
Decades after she was told girls couldn’t do the job, she got a chance to live her childhood dream.
- Kamala Harris visits US border amid migrant crisison 2021-06-26 at 01:29
The US vice-president appeals for an end to “finger-pointing” amid a bipartisan backlash.
- Miami building collapse: ‘I’m not losing my hope’on 2021-06-25 at 18:29
As search and rescue efforts continue, friends and family desperately await signs from the missing.
- Katty Kay: How 100 days turned into five years of funon 2021-06-25 at 16:04
Katty Kay leaves the BBC after nearly three decades of service, including five years on Beyond 100 Days.
- Katty Kay: ‘It’s been a privilege to sit in this chair’on 2021-06-24 at 23:57
Legendary anchor Katty Kay signs off from the BBC for the final time.
- ‘It’s the craziest thing I ever heard in my life’on 2021-06-24 at 12:15
This video was sent by one of the first eyewitnesses on the scene of the Miami building collapse.
- Biden: Insurrectionists ‘need nukes’ to take on US governmenton 2021-06-24 at 00:47
The president says rebels would need more than guns to take on the nuclear-armed US government.
- Runaway cows escape California meatpacking planton 2021-06-23 at 17:56
About 40 cows made a run for it and wandered through the town of Pico Rivera.
- US migrant camp ‘kids feel like they’re in prison’on 2021-06-23 at 01:17
More than 2,000 migrant children are being detained in an overcrowded camp in Texas ridden with disease.
- ‘Heartbreaking’ conditions in US migrant child campon 2021-06-23 at 00:51
An investigation by the BBC has uncovered alarming conditions at a child migrant camp in Texas.
- Nancy Pelosi: ‘Sanctity of the vote is very much in peril’on 2021-06-22 at 22:15
The House speaker tells the BBC that American democracy is in peril if voting rights reform fails.
- New York mayoral election: What voters want from a new mayoron 2021-06-22 at 01:08
Learn what’s at stake as voters head to the polls to choose a new leader for New York City.
- Why US millennials are quitting big citieson 2021-06-17 at 22:24
Remote workers are freer than ever to relocate, especially when smaller cities dangle incentives.
- The couple inspired by Tulsa’s black entrepreneurson 2021-05-31 at 23:19
Obum and his wife Faith moved to Tulsa in 2019, inspired by the legacy of ‘Black Wall Street’.
- Growing hate crime against Asian Americanson 2021-05-30 at 23:06
The BBC’s Michelle Fleury looks at the problem of hate crime directed at Asian Americans in the US.
- Tulsa Massacre: ‘Our country may forget this history, but I cannot’on 2021-05-29 at 09:35
Viola Fletcher, a survivor of the 1921 Tulsa Massacre, calls for justice 100 years on.
- Tulsa massacre: The search for victims, 100 years onon 2021-05-26 at 23:56
Decades after white mobs razed an affluent black neighbourhood the search for bodies goes on.
- Global heating: Study shows impact of ‘climate racism’ in USon 2021-05-25 at 15:07
Black people in the US are subject to double the level of heat stress in cities than whites.
- George Floyd death: How do I talk to my son about race?on 2021-05-23 at 23:08
A year on from the death of George Floyd, BBC presenter Eddie Nestor examines his role as a father.
- Children speak of neglect in US asylum campson 2021-05-23 at 23:03
The BBC has uncovered allegations of cold temperatures, sickness, lice and abuse, through a series of interviews with children and staff at US detention camps for children.
- George Floyd death: How US police are trying to win back truston 2021-05-21 at 20:56
A year after George Floyd’s death, it’s not just civilians who’ll be reflecting on what happened.
- How US police training compares with the rest of the worldon 2021-05-17 at 23:39
Amid calls to improve training in the US, we examine how it compares with other developed countries.
- What is Biden doing differently at US border?on 2021-05-14 at 16:26
Democrat Joe Biden has promised to undo many of Donald Trump’s immigration policies.
- ‘Our first day of freedom on American soil’on 2021-05-07 at 23:18
Adrian Meza and his family from Nicaragua have just been released from detention by US border officials.
- Big rise in numbers of migrant children on Mexico-US borderon 2021-04-19 at 22:39
The increase from 380 to nearly 3,500 has overwhelmed local facilities in Mexico, the UN warns.
- ‘Can you help me?’ Boy found alone at the borderon 2021-04-07 at 19:47
A 10-year-old from Nicaragua woke up to find he had been abandoned by his group.
- Colombia: Migrants risking it all to cross Darien Gapon 2021-03-28 at 23:02
It takes up to 20 days, and can be deadly – but everyday hundreds try to cross the border between Panama and Colombia.
- Guatemala: Suffocated youth unafraid of a deadly journeyon 2021-03-26 at 00:21
Tougher policies and deaths on the road are unlikely to stop Guatemalans from trying to reach the US.
- Child migrants: The challenges facing Biden at the US-Mexico borderon 2021-03-24 at 23:01
A surge in migrants arriving at the US-Mexico border tests the administration’s immigration promises.