News from: BBC & CNN
- Mystery plant: Spotted sandmaton 2022-05-18 at 22:55
- Father builds tiny home in memory of late daughteron 2022-05-18 at 22:55
- On Camera: Brutal sucker punch, body slam assault and robberyon 2022-05-18 at 22:55
- Ambulance and pickup truck crash on highwayon 2022-05-18 at 22:55
- Students invent edible tortilla tapeon 2022-05-18 at 22:55
- Mother turns young sons into entrepreneurson 2022-05-18 at 22:55
- Armed suspect hid out in car before carjackingon 2022-05-18 at 22:55
- Investigation into drug use at fire departmenton 2022-05-18 at 22:55
- Puppy dealer makes nonprofit’s ‘Horrible Hundred’on 2022-05-18 at 22:55
- Fmr. nanny pleads guilty in child pornography caseon 2022-05-18 at 22:55
- All-terrain wheelchairs coming to some state parkson 2022-05-18 at 22:55
- Woman earns college degree days after turning 84on 2022-05-18 at 22:55
- 3 TX stores targeted by same jewelry heiston 2022-05-18 at 22:55
- Driver gets stuck in concrete while fleeing policeon 2022-05-18 at 22:55
- Mother charged after gun goes off in schoolon 2022-05-18 at 22:55
- Johnny Cash mural leaking from curious spoton 2022-05-18 at 22:55
- Student meets reading goal, brings sheep to classon 2022-05-18 at 22:55
- Company offering pilot training at reduced cost to combat pilot shortageon 2022-05-18 at 22:55
- Texas asks Supreme Court to keep state social media censorship law in effecton 2022-05-18 at 22:35
The Supreme Court should allow a sweeping Texas law to remain in effect that restricts the ability of Facebook, Twitter and YouTube to moderate their platforms, according to the state’s attorney general.
- Baby formula shortage: Experts urge parents not to make homebrewson 2022-05-18 at 22:32
Desperate mothers are trying to mix their own baby formula, but experts warn of the dangers.
- Taylor Swift graduation speech: Embrace ‘cringe’on 2022-05-18 at 22:13
New York University bestowed the renowned pop singer with an honorary degree.
- Three-week-old Biden disinformation task force ‘paused’on 2022-05-18 at 22:01
The entity’s director resigns citing “vile” attacks. Critics derided the board as a “Ministry of Truth”.
- Milwaukee man who threw acid in a man’s face is sentenced to 10 years in prisonon 2022-05-18 at 21:53
Clifton Blackwell, the Milwaukee man charged with a hate crime in Wisconsin circuit court in 2019 for throwing acid on a US citizen born in Peru, was sentenced Wednesday to 10 years in state prison, court records show.
- Target posts a stunning drop in profit. Stock plungeson 2022-05-18 at 21:48
Target’s earnings didn’t hit the mark. Far from it.
- Trump urges Oz to declare victory in cliffhanger Senate voteon 2022-05-18 at 21:40
But the too-close-to-call Republican primary in Pennsylvania is likely to go to a recount.
- Markets fall as retailers ring alarm over US economyon 2022-05-18 at 21:39
US shares see their biggest one-day drop since 2020 after renewed signs of waning consumer confidence.
- Buffalo shooting: New York to investigate social media’s ‘bone-chilling’ roleon 2022-05-18 at 21:18
Prosecutors will ask whether social platforms were “used to stream, promote, or plan” the murders.
- US officials order government agencies to fix serious software bugs that hackers are exploitingon 2022-05-18 at 20:23
US cybersecurity officials on Wednesday ordered all federal civilian agencies to fix flaws in widely used software that officials said foreign government-linked hackers are likely moving to exploit.
- Martin Shkreli ‘Pharma bro’ released early from prisonon 2022-05-18 at 19:12
Mr Shkreli was convicted in 2017 of defrauding investors.
- Republicans warn Trump-backed Mastriano over false election claims and eye impact on Senate raceon 2022-05-18 at 18:51
Republicans, reacting to the victory of Trump-backed Doug Mastriano in the GOP gubernatorial primary in Pennsylvania, were uneasy about the election falsehoods he’s spread about 2020 — and warned that voters aren’t interested in re-litigating it.
- 4chan shows how some platforms are accountable only to themselveson 2022-05-18 at 17:08
The mass shooting in Buffalo, New York, has put a spotlight on 4chan, a largely unmoderated site that has been the breeding ground for several tragedies and controversies over the years and appears to have played a role in inspiring Saturday’s attack.
- Minneapolis ex-officer Thomas Lane pleads guilty to manslaughter in George Floyd deathon 2022-05-18 at 16:51
Former Minneapolis Police officer Thomas Lane pleaded guilty to second-degree manslaughter Wednesday related to his role in the killing of George Floyd in May 2020, Minnesota Attorney General Keith Ellison said in a statement.
- Senators announce bipartisan deal on long-sought bill to help veterans exposed to burn pits during military serviceon 2022-05-18 at 16:06
The two top-ranking senators on the Senate Veterans’ Affairs Committee on Wednesday announced a long-sought bipartisan deal on a comprehensive bill that could help millions of veterans who were exposed to toxic burn pits during their military service.
- US football agrees to equal pay dealon 2022-05-18 at 15:43
An equal-pay agreement between the United States men’s and women’s teams has been hailed as potentially “changing the game around the world”.
- Capitol riots loom large in Republican primarieson 2022-05-18 at 14:59
Deniers of the 2020 election results are among the biggest winners of the Republican primary
- World’s largest aircraft owner lost 113 planes to Russia due to sanctionson 2022-05-18 at 12:30
AerCap Holdings, the aircraft leasing giant that is the world’s largest owner of jets, lost 113 planes when Russia seized them in response to sanctions triggered by the war in Ukraine.
- US military probe finds no wrongdoing in deadly Syria air strikeon 2022-05-18 at 11:26
Dozens of people, including women and children, were killed in the 2019 strike on an IS position.
- Pennsylvania primary: Trump-backed ‘Dr Oz’ in cliffhanger vote counton 2022-05-18 at 08:18
Celebrity surgeon Mehmet Oz’s bid to become the next Republican senator from Pennsylvania is in jeopardy.
- Watchdog report says Trump and Biden administration decisions drove collapse of Afghan security forceson 2022-05-18 at 04:01
The US decision to leave Afghanistan under both the Trump and Biden administrations was the driving factor behind the swift collapse of the Afghan military as the Taliban swept across the country with stunning speed last summer, according to a scathing new inspector general report released Wednesday.
- Californian court declares law requiring women on boards unconstitutionalon 2022-05-18 at 02:37
The court said the law, which forced boards to have up to three women directors, was discriminatory.
- Madison Cawthorn: Republicans oust Trump-backed Gen Z congressmanon 2022-05-18 at 02:35
Madison Cawthorn loses a bid to renew his title as America’s youngest congressman.
- Michael Sussmann: Clinton lawyer ‘lied to manipulate FBI over Trump’on 2022-05-18 at 00:35
Michael Sussmann peddled baseless claims about the Trump Organization in hope of an “October surprise”.
- Dallas salon shooting investigated as hate crimeon 2022-05-17 at 22:20
The suspect in last week’s attack has “panic attacks” when around people of Asian descent, police say.
- Charles and Camilla visit Canada on royal tour to mark Platinum Jubileeon 2022-05-17 at 21:57
The Prince of Wales says he will listen on the issue of the treatment of the indigenous community.
- Buffalo shooting: Biden rebukes ‘poison’ of white supremacyon 2022-05-17 at 21:43
The suspect in a mass shooting in New York belongs to “a hateful minority”, the president said.
- US midterm elections – a simple guideon 2022-05-17 at 21:02
Primary contests in key states signal that, once again, election season in the US has begun again.
- Amber Heard denies striking Johnny Depp and doctoring photoson 2022-05-17 at 20:10
Johnny Depp’s lawyer has accused Ms Heard of being “the jealous one” in the ex-couple’s marriage.
- Buffalo shooting: Parents of injured victim demand political actionon 2022-05-17 at 16:39
The parents of one Buffalo victim want to know what’s being done to prevent another mass shooting.
- UFOs: Few answers at rare US Congressional hearingon 2022-05-17 at 15:41
While top Pentagon brass say most encounters can be explained, a handful remain a complete mystery.
- New York’s mayor wants Jamie Dimon to ride the subway to workon 2022-05-17 at 15:35
New York Mayor Eric Adams is begging the city’s business leaders, including JPMorgan CEO Jamie Dimon, to ride the subway to work. Adams is pushing to bring people back to New York offices after years of working from home.
- Buffalo shooting: How far-right killers are radicalised onlineon 2022-05-17 at 13:24
A movement of online extremists targets innocent people in shooting rampages that follow a similar blueprint.
- ‘Guatemalan attorney general involved in corruption’ – USon 2022-05-17 at 13:03
The US accuses Consuelo Porras of obstructing and undermining anticorruption investigations.
- Drugs tunnel connecting US and Mexico foundon 2022-05-17 at 12:30
The “sophisticated” cross-border passage was equipped with a rail track and ventilation system.
- ‘We are hurting and we are seething’on 2022-05-15 at 02:50
“This is the worst nightmare that any community can face,” Mayor Byron Brown says after the deadly attack.
- Nova Scotia shooting: First-hand accounts heard in probe of Canada tragedyon 2022-05-15 at 02:01
A probe into Canada’s worst mass shooting has revealed new details about killer and police response.
- Worry and fear as US faces baby formula shortageon 2022-05-13 at 17:42
With stocks running low across the country, parents are scrambling to find ways to feed their children.
- Does US really have world’s highest Covid death toll?on 2022-05-12 at 10:21
A new report suggests other countries had more excess deaths than US during the pandemic.
- The ‘jockstrap’ that revolutionised women’s sportson 2022-05-11 at 13:11
The sports bra is honoured as a serious invention. The women behind its creation are chuffed.
- Grenada: Confronting my family’s slave-owning paston 2022-05-10 at 23:30
The BBC’s Laura Trevelyan travels to the island of Grenada to investigate her family’s slave-owning past.
- James Cromwell glues hand to Starbucks counter in proteston 2022-05-10 at 23:07
Actor James Cromwell condemns a surcharge on vegan milk at the coffee chain.
- We need to work with Russia, former chief Nasa scientist sayson 2022-05-10 at 07:40
Nasa has no intention to end the agency’s relationship with Russia, its former chief scientist says.
- The return of California’s butterflieson 2022-05-07 at 23:09
Efforts to protect these beautiful insects include driving electric tractors and hand-rearing them in a lab.
- The priceless Roman bust found in a Texas thrift storeon 2022-05-07 at 00:37
Bought for just $35 by a sharp-eyed customer, the ancient artefact is now on display in a museum.
- Roe v Wade: The lawyer behind America’s landmark abortion rulingon 2022-05-06 at 23:02
Sarah Weddington was just 26 years old when she argued her case in front of the US Supreme Court.
- Depp v Heard: What you may have missed from Heard’s testimonyon 2022-05-06 at 20:04
Amber Heard testified about Depp’s drunken rages and allegations of emotional and physical abuse.
- Canada ‘Sixties Scoop’: Indigenous survivors map out their storieson 2020-12-14 at 00:05
Canada’s “Sixties Scoop” saw thousands of indigenous children forcibly removed from their families.
- New Christmas campaign for Canadians held in Chinaon 2020-12-10 at 01:39
The campaign is based on efforts around a similar case involving a British journalist fifty years ago.
- New Brunswick outbreak: How a smalltown doctor became a Covid pariahon 2020-11-25 at 01:23
After being labelled “patient zero”, a small-town physician in Canada was shunned.