News from: NDTV, Timesofindia.com & Thehindu.com
- Modi govt will turn crisis into opportunity: Scindia on ruckus by opposition in Parliamenton 2021-07-29 at 16:39
Facing the brunt of the ruckus created by the opposition inside Parliament, civil aviation minister Jyotiraditya Scindia on Thursday came down heavily on them and said the Modi government would convert this crisis into opportunity.
- ‘Very hurt’ over opposition MPs flinging papers at Chair, says Lok Sabha Speakeron 2021-07-29 at 16:29
- More than 6.07 lakh cyber security cases reported till June this year: Union minister tells Parliamenton 2021-07-29 at 16:27
- Supreme Court judges vacancy to touch 29% with two more retiring next monthon 2021-07-29 at 15:45
- Dhanbad judge Uttam Anand death: CJI speaks to Jharkhand HC chief justiceon 2021-07-29 at 15:38
- Over 4000 complaints received on corruption in TPDS from 2018 to 2021on 2021-07-29 at 15:23
- Explained: What OBC, EWS reservation in medical colleges under all India quota meanson 2021-07-29 at 15:20
The all-India quota consists of 15% of the total available UG seats and 50% of the total available PG seats in government medical colleges. Initially, there was no reservation in the AIQ scheme up to 2007. This move would benefit nearly 1,500 OBC students in MBBS and 2,500 OBC students in PG and also around 550 EWS students in MBBS and around 1,000 EWS students in PG.
- US, India against military takeover of Afghanistan: S Jaishankar in Rajya Sabhaon 2021-07-29 at 14:29
Addressing the upper house, the minister said, “We (Indian leadership) highlighted that in our approach to global issues we’re guided by quest for perfect union but we seek to right historical wrongs. When it comes to freedom, we shouldn’t treat it as non-governance or abdication of responsibilities. Our conversation on this should be balanced.”
- 195 cases of vandalism, 26 kidnappings by Naxalites since 2018: Govt in Parliamenton 2021-07-29 at 14:28
- Centre on how many oxygen beds are available to tackle Covid crisison 2021-07-29 at 14:23
- ‘Bihari Gunda’: BJP MP Nishikant Dubey accuses TMC member of name-callingon 2021-07-29 at 14:15
“I want to draw attention of all members of this House. This is my 13th year as an MP and the way I was called ‘Bihari Gunda’ at the parliamentary committee meeting yesterday by a woman, by Trinamool Congress, I have not seen this in my life,” Dubey said, amid din in the House due to protests by opposition over Pegasus and farm bill issues. However, Dubey did not name the TMC member.
- Indian women’s nutrition suffered during last year’s Covid lockdown: Studyon 2021-07-29 at 13:42
- Lok Sabha Speaker: Hurt over unruly behaviour of some opposition MPson 2021-07-29 at 11:53
Lok Sabha Speaker Om Birla on Thursday expressed displeasure over unruly behaviour by some opposition members on Wednesday. On Wednesday, when papers were being laid in the House, Congress members Gurjeet Aujala, TN Prathapan, Hibi Eden and some others threw business papers of the day as well as torn pieces of paper and placards at the Chair.
- Rahul Gandhi: Govt not allowing MPs to discuss issues of national importanceon 2021-07-29 at 11:45
“Modi government is not allowing the opposition to do its work. Don’t waste more time of Parliament, let there be discussion on inflation, farmers issue and Pegasus,” Rahul Gandhi said in a tweet in Hindi.
- PM Modi’s Address On 1 Year Of New Education Policy: Highlightson 2021-07-29 at 11:23
Prime Minister Narendra Modi is addressing the nation on the completion of one year of the new National Education Policy (NEP). He will also launch multiple initiatives in the education sector.
- India’s Left Leaders Take Part In Chinese Communist Party Centenary Eventon 2021-07-29 at 11:22
Indian communist leaders took part in a virtual event marking 100 years of the Chinese Communist Party, said the Chinese embassy in Delhi.
- ”Hurt” Over Opposition MPs Flinging Papers At Chair: Lok Sabha Speakeron 2021-07-29 at 11:15
Lok Sabha Speaker Om Birla on Thursday said he was “very hurt” over some opposition members throwing papers at the Chair a day earlier and warned of stern action against those repeatedly involved in…
- Anti-Modi Agenda Alone Won’t Sustain Opposition Front: Congress Leaderon 2021-07-29 at 11:08
An anti-Narendra Modi agenda alone will not help sustain an opposition front to take on the BJP, senior Congress leader M Veerappa Moily cautioned on Thursday, calling for drawing up a common minimum…
- BJP Backs Out, Jawahar Sircar To Be Elected Unopposed To Rajya Sabhaon 2021-07-29 at 11:02
The BJP will not contest the bypoll to a Rajya Sabha seat from Bengal, meaning the ruling Trinamool Congress’ pick – ex-Prasad Bharti CEO Jawhar Sircar – will be elected unopposed.
- Police Response Sought On Ex-AAP Councillor’s Bail In Delhi Riots Caseon 2021-07-29 at 10:58
The Delhi High Court Thursday sought response from Delhi police on bail application moved by former AAP councillor Tahir Hussain in a case arising out of the northeast Delhi riots of 2020.
- Lok Sabha Proceedings Adjourned For The Day; 2 Bills Passed Amid Dinon 2021-07-29 at 10:56
Lok Sabha on Thursday passed two bills before the proceedings were adjourned for the day amid continuous protests by opposition members over the Pegasus spying row and farmers” issue.
- Kerala Seeks Special Package From Centre As 10 Lakh Expats Face Job Losson 2021-07-29 at 10:48
Around 14 lakh expatriates have returned back to Kerala, of which about 10 lakh have cited job loss due to COVID-19, informed Kerala Finance Minister KN Balagopal on Thursday.
- Notice To Centre, Himachal On Forest Clearances For Shimla Smart Cityon 2021-07-29 at 10:42
The Himachal Pradesh High Court on Wednesday issued notices to the Central and State Governments and other respondents in the matter regarding grant of forest clearance for Shimla Smart City Project.
- 27% Quota For OBCs, 10% For Economically Weak Sections In Medical Courseson 2021-07-29 at 10:27
Medical and dental courses in the country will have a 27 reservation for Other Backward Classes (OBCs), 10 per cent for Economically Weaker Sections under the All India Quota Scheme for undergraduate…
- Halting Irrigation Projects In Maharashtra’s Marathwada May…: BJP MLAon 2021-07-29 at 10:27
Certain water and irrigation schemes are being halted in Marathwada, and there is fear that this may lead to farmer suicides in the drought-prone region if it doesn’t get sufficient rainfall, BJP MLA…
- Support All Peace Processes For Lasting Settlement: India On Afghanistanon 2021-07-29 at 10:13
India on Thursday said it has a steadfast policy to support a sovereign, democratic and peaceful Afghanistan and it is in touch with various stakeholders within and outside Afghanistan including…
- Bihar Most Backward, Says Centre. RJD Mocks Nitish Kumaron 2021-07-29 at 10:10
Bihar is India’s most backward state according to a report, the Centre has said in parliament, and it has set off a new political controversy in the state in which the ruling BJP is part of the Nitish…
- Search Continues To Find Survivors After Cloudburst In J&K Villageon 2021-07-29 at 10:06
Rescue operations are being carried out today to trace 20 people missing after a cloudburst hit Honzar village in Jammu and Kashmir’s Kishtwar district. Authorities have deployed more teams into…
- 19 Missing In J&K Cloudburst, Slim Chance Of Finding Survivors: Top Copon 2021-07-29 at 09:53
Nineteen missing persons are feared dead after they were struck by a cloudburst on Wednesday in Kishtwar district of Jammu and Kashmir.
- Malaysia’s king berates government for misleading Parliamentby AP on 2021-07-29 at 09:49
Malaysia’s king on Thursday rebuked Prime Minister Muhyiddin Yassin’s government for misleading Parliament over the status of coronavirus emergency m
- Supreme Court Reserves Verdict In Amazon Vs Future Caseon 2021-07-29 at 09:40
The Supreme Court has reserved its judgement in Amazon-Future-Reliance case and will decide whether Singapore’s Emergency Arbitrator Award restraining Future Retail Ltd from going ahead with its…
- After Halting Emergency Use, Brazil Shelves Import Permit Of Covaxinon 2021-07-29 at 09:28
After suspending the proposed clinical trials of Bharat Biotech’s COVID-19 vaccine Covaxin and a request for Emergency Use Authorisation, Brazil now has suspended its decision to import four million…
- Delhi Demands Reversal Of Rakesh Asthana’s Appointment As Top Copon 2021-07-29 at 09:22
The Delhi Assembly has passed a resolution against the appointment of former CBI officer Rakesh Asthana as the Delhi Police Commissioner. The resolution asks the Union Home Ministry to reverse the…
- Madhya Pradesh Crosses 3 Crore COVID-19 Vaccination Markon 2021-07-29 at 09:14
Over three crore doses of vaccines against COVID-19 have been administered to people in Madhya Pradesh so far as against the eligible population of 5.40 crore.
- Interim Bail, Parole Issue In Top Court; Not Inclined To Hear: High Courton 2021-07-29 at 09:14
The Delhi High Court Thursday said it was not inclined to entertain a plea seeking extension of emergency parole of prisoners who are above the age of 65 and prone to COVID-19 infection due to some…
- Mexico says officials spent $61 million on Pegasus spywareby AP on 2021-07-29 at 07:37
Public Safety Secretary Rosa Icela Rodríguez said records found revealed 31 contracts signed during the administrations of President Felipe Calderón in 2006-2012 and President Enrique Peña Nieto in 2012-18
- Google delays return to office, mandates vaccinesby AP on 2021-07-29 at 06:26
CEO Sundar Pichai says the tech firm is now aiming to have most of its workforce back to its offices beginning Oct. 18 instead of its previous target date of Sept. 1.
- Officials in Tokyo alarmed as cases hit record highsby AP on 2021-07-29 at 06:19
Tokyo reported 3,177 new cases on Wednesday.
- After suspending EUA request, Brazil now shelves import authorisation of Covaxinby PTI on 2021-07-29 at 06:16
Bharat Biotech on July 23 said it terminated the MoU it entered with Precisa Medicamentos and Envixia Pharmaceuticals LLC for its COVID-19 vaccine Covaxin for Brazilian market.
- How Priyanka Chopra inspires Tequila golgappas at New York restaurant Sonaby Shonali Muthalaly on 2021-07-29 at 06:06
Udupi-born Chef Hari Nayak creates a modern Indian menu at Sona, a post-pandemic restaurant launched in Manhattan, New York, with inputs from actor-producer Priyanka Chopra
- China’s new ambassador arrives in U.S. with words of optimismby Reuters on 2021-07-29 at 06:04
Mr. Qin, who did two stints as a Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman between 2006 and 2014, has earned a reputation for often pointed public defences of his country’s positions.
- Monsanto told to pay teachers $185 million over chemical exposureby AP on 2021-07-29 at 05:53
Bayer, which bought Monsanto in 2018, said the company disagreed with the verdict and may appeal.
- Was Emmanuel Macron’s phone a target for spies? French investigateby AP on 2021-07-29 at 05:37
France is trying to get to the bottom of allegations that in 2019 Macron and members of his government may have been targeted by an unidentified Moroccan security service, using NSO’s Pegasus spyware.
- Pfizer hikes 2021 outlook after vaccine boosts sales, profitby PTI on 2021-07-29 at 05:24
The COVID-19 vaccine became Pfizer’s top seller, bringing in nearlt half its revenue
- Blinken comment on India, U.S. ‘shared values’ riles Chinaby Ananth Krishnan on 2021-07-29 at 01:02
Democracy should not be used as a label or tool to belittle or smear other countries or stoke confrontations, says Beijing
- It’s in America’s interest to strengthen ties with India: top U.S. officialby PTI on 2021-07-29 at 00:51
‘As two great democracies, we should demonstrate through our example why democracy promotes peace, stability and personal freedoms’, says Donald Lu
- Great challenges for all democracies: Blinkenby Suhasini Haidar on 2021-07-28 at 20:07
U.S. Secretary of State discusses inter-religious relations, media freedom at ‘civil society round-table’
- In Sri Lanka, teachers resist Bill ‘militarising’ educationby Meera Srinivasan on 2021-07-28 at 18:23
University teachers held silent protest across campuses on the island.
- U.S. sends man to jail for leaking documents on drone strikesby Sriram Lakshman on 2021-07-28 at 16:52
Rights advocates slam sentencing.
- Russia to boost Tajik Army with weaponsby AFP on 2021-07-28 at 16:42
Joint military exercise next week
- China Foreign Minister Wang Yi hosts Taliban, calls them ‘pivotal force’by Ananth Krishnan on 2021-07-28 at 14:32
The visit to China is the first from the group in the wake of its gaining key ground in Afghanistan, including in Badakshan province which borders China’s western Xinjiang region.
- Search for missing people continues at German explosion siteby AP on 2021-07-28 at 12:24
The industrial park is located in the city of Leverkusen, near Cologne.