News from: NDTV, Timesofindia.com & Thehindu.com
- Waiting for PM Modi’s appointment … : Nitish Kumar on demand for caste census by Bihar partieson 2021-08-05 at 22:18
- India consistently conveys its concerns on developments over Brahmaputra: MEA to parliamentary panelon 2021-08-05 at 22:17
- PDP holds demonstration on second anniversary of nullification of Article 370on 2021-08-05 at 21:09
- Karnataka chief minister to allocate portfolios to ministers on August 6on 2021-08-05 at 20:54
- BKU alleges irregularities in crop procurement in UP, demands CBI probeon 2021-08-05 at 20:39
Farmer leader Rakesh Tikait on Thursday alleged large-scale irregularities in the procurement of crops in Uttar Pradesh on minimum support price (MSP) and demanded a CBI probe. Tikait, the national spokesperson for the Bharatiya Kisan Union (BKU), claimed multiple crops including wheat have been procured through middlemen instead of farmers, whose identities have been forged in government records.
- Under pressure, Pakistan blame India for Hindu temple desecrationon 2021-08-05 at 20:38
- No fixed timeframe for Uniform Civil Code due to sensitivity and in-depth study: says Centreon 2021-08-05 at 20:17
Amidst courts prodding the Centre to implement the contentious Uniform Civil Code (UCC) and a section of the population opposing the idea, the government on Thursday said it was not possible for it to lay down any rigid timeframe in view of the sensitivity of the matter and the in-depth study required.
- Power supply in rural areas up 83% at 22 hours, cities nearly all day: R K Singhon 2021-08-05 at 20:11
- India in talks with various countries for mutual recognition of vaccine certificationson 2021-08-05 at 19:50
- TMC delegates to meet West Bengal chief electoral officer on Fridayon 2021-08-05 at 19:39
- Opposition trying to stall progress of the country, says PM Modion 2021-08-05 at 19:23
- UP was never linked to country’s prosperity in the past, says PM Modion 2021-08-05 at 19:20
- Indigenous warship, drill in South China Sea: Delhi flexes naval muscle with eye on Beijingon 2021-08-05 at 19:18
- Bengal has 52 lakh Covid vaccine doses, says Centre in reply to Mamata’s demandon 2021-08-05 at 18:42
In response to West Bengal chief minister Mamata Banerjee’s demand for 14 crore doses of Covid-19 vaccines, the Centre has said the state already has 52 lakh doses which is second to just Maharashtra.
- Panacea Biotec to manufacture up to 25 million doses of Sputnik V vaccineon 2021-08-05 at 17:57
The company has entered into a “licensing and manufacturing agreement with Human Vaccine Limited Liability Company, a subsidiary of Russian Direct Investment Fund, Russia, Generium Joint Stock Company,Russia, and Dr Reddy’s Laboratories Ltd,” Panacea Biotec said in a filing to BSE.
- Lok Sabha proceedings adjourned till 5pm amid opposition ruckuson 2021-08-05 at 17:05
- Pandemonium in Parliament: Lok Sabha speaker Om Birla cautions opposition for fourth day in a rowon 2021-08-05 at 17:01
As some opposition parties created ruckus on Thursday in the Lok Sabha like any other day since July 19 during the ongoing Monsoon Session of Parliament, speaker Om Birla once again took exception to the disruption of business in the House by some opposition parties and cautioned them. This was the fourth consecutive day this week that the speaker has admonished the MPs who were responsible for unruly behaviour.
- PM Modi Lauds Members Of India Men’s Hockey Team For Olympic Winon 2021-08-05 at 16:48
Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Thursday heaped praises on the players of Indian men’s hockey team individually after they won bronze medal at the Tokyo Olympics.
- Tamil Nadu BJP Protests Against Party-Ruled Karnataka’s River Projecton 2021-08-05 at 16:45
BJP raised the pitch demanding that neighbouring Karnataka should not go ahead with the balancing reservoir project which aims to meet both drinking water needs and power generation.
- Ahead of UNSC discussion, India reminds of strategic partnership with Kabulby Kallol Bhattacherjee on 2021-08-05 at 16:45
We are closely monitoring the unfolding situation in Afghanistan, says official.
- Consider issuing ‘common card’ to fully vaccinated people for unrestricted travel: HC to Maharashtra, Centreon 2021-08-05 at 16:40
- Court Denies Mumbai Cop Sachin Waze Bail, Gives NIA Time To File Chargesheeton 2021-08-05 at 16:14
A special court here on Thursday rejected dismissed police officer Sachin Waze’s plea for default bail in the case of the SUV with explosives found near industrialist Mukesh Ambani’s residence, and…
- Kerala Assembly Passes Resolution Against Centre’s Electricity Billon 2021-08-05 at 16:13
The Kerala Assembly passed an unanimous resolution urging the Centre to withdraw its Electricity Amendment Bill, 2021, saying it would facilitate free entry of private players into the sector.
- China Probing Circumstances Of Indian’s Death In Tianjin: Foreign Officeon 2021-08-05 at 16:08
India today said that Chinese authorities are investigating the circumstances of the death of an Indian student in China’s Tianjin city and efforts are on to bring his body back to India as quickly as…
- Bill Brought To Amend Central Universities Act, Setup Ladakh Universityon 2021-08-05 at 16:06
A bill that seeks to amend the Central Universities Act, 2009, to provide for the establishment of a university in the the Union territory of Ladakh was introduced in Lok Sabha on Thursday.
- Delhi Records Maximum Temperature Of 35.3 Degrees Celsiuson 2021-08-05 at 16:05
The national capital recorded a maximum temperature of 35.3 degrees Celsius on Thursday, one notch above the season’s average, the India Meteorological Department (IMD) said.
- A year after Beirut blast, Lebanon is reeling under economic and political crisesby Stanly Johny on 2021-08-05 at 15:58
Lebanon’s political elite still hasn’t formed a government, and Hassan Diab is continuing in his caretaker capacity.
- Parliament Passes Essential Defence Services Bill, Centre Gets More Poweron 2021-08-05 at 15:46
Parliament on Thursday passed a bill which allows the central government to prohibit strikes, lockouts, and layoffs in units engaged in essential defence services.
- India Summons Pak Envoy, Protests Desecration Of Hindu Temple, Idolson 2021-08-05 at 15:39
India today summoned Pak charge d’affaires and lodged a firm protest over the “reprehensible incident” of ransacking a Hindu temple in the Punjab province, and said incidents of violence, persecution…
- Tamil Nadu Gives Option To Pray In Tamil At 47 Temples In Stateon 2021-08-05 at 15:16
In 47 temples of Tamil Nadu, devotees will have the option to pray in Tamil from tomorrow as the Chief Minister MK Stalin-led DMK (Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam) government introduced “Annai Thamizhil…
- In 3 Days, 6 Bridges Wash Away In Rain-Hit Madhya Pradesh, Probe Orderedon 2021-08-05 at 15:10
A government report accessed by NDTV says that there is no record of cost incurred on the bridges built on Datia’s Sewda in 1982 and Sheopur’s Manpur in 1985.
- CBI Begins Investigation In Jharkhand’s Judge Death Caseon 2021-08-05 at 14:46
After taking over the case of Dhanbad Judge Uttam Anand’s death, the CBI team from Delhi swung into action Thursday to crack the issue that triggered nationwide outrage.
- Twitter Has Not Designated Nodal Contact Person, Centre Tells Parliamenton 2021-08-05 at 14:43
Twitter appointed a Chief Compliance Officer and a resident grievance officer as a contingent arrangement, but has not designated a nodal contact person, Parliament was informed today.
- Mumbai Court To Hear Bail Pleas Of Raj Kundra, His Associate On August 10on 2021-08-05 at 14:36
A Mumbai Sessions Court on Thursday said it will hear bail applications of businessman and actor Shilpa Shetty’s husband Raj Kundra and his associate Ryan Thorpe on August 10. The court asked the…
- Locks Broken To Keep Stores Open In Srinagar, Allege Shopkeeperson 2021-08-05 at 14:30
There was no shutdown on the second anniversary of the scrapping of special status to Jammu and Kashmir. Two years ago on this today, the centre scrapped special status and converted Jammu and Kashmir…
- Lakhs Deprived Of Vaccines In Bengal Due To Trinamool: Suvendu Adhikarion 2021-08-05 at 14:17
BJP leader Suvendu Adhikari on Thursday slammed the ruling Trinamool Congress in West Bengal for depriving lakhs of the opportunity to get vaccinated against COVID-19, due to the state government”s…
- “Wanted To Meet PM, No Response Yet”: Nitish Kumar’s Caste Census Pushon 2021-08-05 at 14:15
Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar, pressing for a caste-based census in the state, said today he had requested an appointment with Prime Minister Narendra Modi on the subject but had not received a…
- Centre Sanctions Rs 100 Crore For Rain-Affected Roads In Maharashtraon 2021-08-05 at 14:11
Union Minister Nitin Gadkari on Thursday said that Rs 100 crore has been sanctioned to restore the roads affected by unprecedented rains in Konkan and Western Maharashtra.
- Kerala Records Over 20,000 New COVID-19 Cases, 117 Related Deathson 2021-08-05 at 14:10
Kerala on Thursday reported 22,040 fresh coronavirus cases and 117 deaths, taking the total infection count to 34.93 lakh and the death count to 17,328.
- Fake Call Centre Duped Over Rs 10 Crore From US Citizens, 32 Arrestedon 2021-08-05 at 14:00
Police in Uttar Pradesh’s Greater Noida have arrested 32 people from a fake call centre that was allegedly duping US citizens on the pretext of fixing computer virus, officials said on Thursday.
- Israel Defence Minister Benny Gantz threatens Iran with military actionby AP on 2021-08-05 at 13:38
The comments by Benny Gantz come as Israel meanwhile lobbies countries for action at the United Nations over last week’s attack on the oil tanker Mercer Street that killed two people.
- NATO, European Union slam Iran over oil tanker attackby AP on 2021-08-05 at 13:38
The NATO military alliance and the European Union on Tuesday joined a growing chorus of international condemnation of Iran’s alleged attack on a merch
- Metaverse | What is the ‘next generation of Internet’ Zuckerberg and Nadella are talking about?by Sowmya Ramasubramanian on 2021-08-05 at 11:52
Tech giants are all set to establish the metaverse, a form of mixed reality integrated with the Internet.
- Nintendo reports slump in quarterly sales for its flagship Switch consoleby Reuters on 2021-08-05 at 10:55
Nintendo saw sales of Switch Lite units more than halve to 1.14 million during the April-June quarter but maintained its full-year forecast for Switch hardware at 25.5 million units.
- ByteDance to lay off staff, close businesses over China tutoring clampdownby Reuters on 2021-08-05 at 10:54
The move comes after China imposed sweeping regulations on the private-tutoring sector.
- Microsoft to require U.S. employees to be fully vaccinatedby AP on 2021-08-05 at 10:07
The company’s new vaccine mandate won’t be imposed outside of the U.S. due to legal and vaccine distribution differences, the memo said.
- Britain will not recognise a Taliban govt. that takes power by force: U.K. envoy to U.N.by Sriram Lakshman on 2021-08-05 at 09:32
‘We are working alongside partners to try and make sure that we can return Afghanistan to a pathway towards security and prosperity’
- Israel launches airstrikes on Lebanonby AP on 2021-08-05 at 08:22
Several incidents leading up to this week’s rocket fire from Lebanon have focused attention on Israel’s northern border, and the United States swiftly condemned the attacks on Israel.
- Watch | Barbara Woodward, UK’s Permanent Representative to UN, speaks on counterterrorism in Afghanistan, India-UK ties and moreby Sriram Lakshman on 2021-08-05 at 07:29
In conversation with Barbara Woodward, the UK’s Permanent Representative to UN
- Travel curbs: U.K. moves India to ‘Amber’ categoryby Kallol Bhattacherjee on 2021-08-05 at 06:43
Move reopens travel visas; stringent quarantine rule will also be relaxed
- COVID-19 | Sydney reports worst day of its current outbreakby AP on 2021-08-05 at 05:15
People in Sydney urged not to wait the optimal 12 weeks before getting their second AstraZeneca dose.
- Morning Digest: Pegasus | Supreme Court to hear pleas on Pegasus today; Indian wrestler Vinesh Phogat moves to quarterfinals at Tokyo Olympics, and moreby The Hindu Net Desk on 2021-08-05 at 02:59
A select list of stories to read before you start your day