News from: NDTV, Timesofindia.com & Thehindu.com
- PM Modi arrives in Japan to attend former premier Abe's state funeralby The Hindu Bureau on 2022-09-27 at 02:42
- At UNGA, Bhutan, Nepal express gratitude for India's supply of COVID-19 vaccinesby PTI on 2022-09-27 at 02:38
Under the Vaccine Maitri initiative, nearly 95 lakh doses have been supplied to Nepal and 5.5 lakh doses to Bhutan
- Jaishankar, Austin discuss opportunities for bilateral defence industrial cooperationby PTI on 2022-09-27 at 02:33
Lloyd Austin and S. Jaishankar committed to expanding information-sharing and logistics cooperation to drive deeper operational coordination between the U.S. and Indian militaries
- Govt to phase out 100 awards, several fellowships in scienceon 2022-09-27 at 02:27
The Centre has issued a notification saying about 100 awards and several fellowships in science were being discontinued. Private endowment awards have been cancelled. Most departments will now have one award of “high stature”.
- Facing deluge of NRC deportation cases, SC shields all petitionerson 2022-09-27 at 02:24
Days after the Supreme Court passed an order staying deportation of an Assam-based woman who was declared foreigner despite allegedly being born here and though all her family members including brothers, sisters and in-laws are Indian citizens, the court is facing a “deluge” of such cases.
- Morning Digest | Sachin Pilot waiting for Sonia’s ruling on Gehlot camp revolt; Putin grants Russian citizenship to U.S. whistleblower Snowden, and moreby The Hindu Bureau on 2022-09-27 at 02:15
A select list of stories to read before you start your day
- Twitter challenges order to block accounton 2022-09-27 at 02:11
The Centre’s directive to take down a Twitter account for a particular tweet goes against Sec 69A of the IT Act and is a violation of the right to equality enshrined in Art 14, the multi-blogging platform said in the Karnataka HC on Monday. Twitter has approached the HC, challenging a series of blocking orders issued by the Centre from February 2, 2021, till Feb 28, 2022.
- SC seeks govt stand on Rajiv Gandhi assassin’s plea for early releaseon 2022-09-27 at 01:55
The Supreme Court Monday sought responses from the Centre and the Tamil Nadu government on a plea filed by Nalini Sriharan, serving life sentence in the Rajiv Gandhi assassination case, seeking premature release.
- SC relief for SRK in ’17 Vadodara station stampede caseon 2022-09-27 at 01:51
The Supreme Court on Monday upheld the decision of the Gujarat high court quashing a criminal case filed against actor Shah Rukh Khan and others, who were booked for causing a stampede in 2017 at the Vadodara railway station while promoting his film.
- NASA's DART spacecraft hits target asteroid in first planetary defence testby Reuters on 2022-09-27 at 01:50
The mission was devised to determine whether a spacecraft is capable of changing the trajectory of an asteroid through sheer kinetic force
- SC refuses to stay Narayan Rane ‘house’ razingon 2022-09-27 at 01:49
The Supreme Court on Monday dismissed a plea challenging a Bombay high court order directing Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) to demolish unauthorised portions of Union minister Narayan Rane’s Juhu residence ‘Aadhish’.
- PO passport seva kendras to help get police clearance onlineon 2022-09-27 at 01:47
In order to address the unanticipated surge in demand for police clearance certificates (PCCs), the Union ministry of external affairs (MEA) has decided to include the facility to apply for PCC services at all online Post Office Passport Seva Kendras (POPSKs) across India, starting September 28, the government announced on Monday.
- West Bengal Reports 840 New Dengue Cases In A Dayon 2022-09-27 at 01:35
Dengue cases in West Bengal continued to rise with the state health department reporting 840 new infections on Monday.
- Born during pandemic, CoWin, Aarogya Setu now set for larger roleson 2022-09-27 at 01:34
- 1 0 pilgrims die, 20 critical as vehicle falls into pondon 2022-09-27 at 01:22
Eight women and two girls were killed and another 20, including several minors, critically injured when a tractor-trolley carrying 47 people skidded, overturned and plunged into a pond by the road in Ituanja on the outskirts of Lucknow on Monday morning.
- Coronavirus Live: India Reports Over 4,000 New COVID-19 Cases In 24 Hourson 2022-09-27 at 01:09
India recorded 4,129 new coronavirus infections in the last 24 hours, bringing the total number of Covid cases to 4,45,72,243. According to Union health ministry data the active cases of COVID-19…
- Block 45 videos on 10 channels: Govt to YouTubeon 2022-09-27 at 01:01
The Union I&B ministry has got 45 videos on 10 Youtube channels blocked. The videos, with a cumulative viewership of over 1.3 crore, were found to disseminate fake and anti-India content on Kashmir and Agnipath scheme, the Centre said.
- No ‘tarikh pe tarikh’: SC rejects adjournment pleason 2022-09-27 at 00:58
‘Tarikh Pe Tarikh’ may well become a thing of the past as the Supreme Court gets strict with lawyers seeking adjournments and such pleas, even from senior lawyers, are now being denied.
- Ashok Gehlot camp boycott ‘gross indiscipline’, says Congresson 2022-09-27 at 00:51
Even as Congress termed the boycott by MLAs close to Rajasthan chief minister Ashok Gehlot “gross indiscipline”, it is learned that the party is scrambling to salvage the situation and has reached out to the state leadership. The party brass is in a dilemma owing to the AICC presidential election, for which Gehlot is the top contender.
- CUET-PG results out, marks not ‘normalised’on 2022-09-27 at 00:21
Unlike CUET-UG, NTA has announced subject-wise toppers for the postgraduate entrance exam. Among universities, BHU received the maximum number of 3.5 lakh applications, followed by JNU with 2.3 lakh.
- Stability Of Indo-Pacific Should Be Secured: S Jaishankaron 2022-09-27 at 00:14
External Affairs Minister S Jaishankar said that the stability, security and prosperity of the Indo-Pacific should be secured as the global situation has become very challenging.
- Centre sets stiffer 40% air pollution reduction target for cities by 2026on 2022-09-26 at 23:57
Delhi’s PM10 level reduced from 241g/m3 in 2017 to 196 g/m3 in 2021-22. Similarly, the PM10 level in Mumbai reduced from 151g/m3 in 2017 to 106 g/m3 in 2021-22 whereas it reduced from 119 g/m3 in 2017 to 105 g/m3 in Kolkata in 2021-22.
- Not fooling anybody: EAM slams F-16 package for Pakistanon 2022-09-26 at 23:25
Foreign minister S Jaishankar publicly expressed India’s displeasure over the $450 million sustainment package for Pakistan’s F-16 fleet as he said Washington was “not fooling any- body” by claiming the fighter jets were meant for counter-terrorism purposes.
- 3 Security Guards Injured In Gurgaon After Attack By Group Of Men: Policeon 2022-09-26 at 23:23
Three security guards were injured after a group of men allegedly attacked them with axes and sticks at a builder project site in sector 106 here, police said on Monday.
- PM Modi Arrives In Japan To Attend Shinzo Abe’s State Funeralon 2022-09-26 at 22:52
Prime Minister Narendra Modi arrived here on Tuesday to attend the state funeral of former Japanese prime minister Shinzo Abe.
- Pro-Sachin Pilot posters in Rajasthan CM Ashok Gehlot hometownon 2022-09-26 at 22:49
Amid the power struggle in Rajasthan, a number of hoardings have come up across the city – which is CM Ashok Gehlot’s hometown – that read “Naye Yug ki Taiyari (Getting ready for a new era)”.
- US Urges Pakistan To Seek Debt Relief From China Amid Floodson 2022-09-26 at 22:38
US Secretary of State Antony Blinken called Monday on Pakistan to seek debt relief from its close partner China as floods devastate the South Asian country.
- Six-month High Court delay in hearing Anil Deshmukh bail plea irks Supreme Courton 2022-09-26 at 22:34
Observing that it is a legitimate expectation of a person to get expeditious hearing on bail petition, the SC expressed its displeasure over the Bombay HC for keeping bail plea of ex-Maharashtra home minister Anil Deshmukh pending for the last six months and asked the HC to grant him a hearing during the course of the week. The SC said that HC even failed to implement its order.
- Eye on China? US backs event on Arunachal tribeson 2022-09-26 at 22:19
As part of a series of ‘Azadi Ka Amrit Mahotsav’ (India75) and US-India 75th anniversary celebrations, an event to highlight the cultural heritage of indigenous tribes in Arunachal Pradesh, ‘Living Heritage of Arunachal’, will be held on Tuesday.
- Fire At Commercial Building In Mumbai, No Casualties Reported: Officialon 2022-09-26 at 22:19
A level-1 fire broke out in a store in Yash Plaza, a commercial building on Dr D’Silva road near Shagun Hotel in Mumbai’s Dadar West on Monday night.
- Why things are falling apart in Congress and centre can’t holdon 2022-09-26 at 22:01
Amid the crisis in Rajasthan, the rebuff from the Gehlot camp stands in stark contrast to the ease with which Congress replaced Amarinder Singh as the chief minister of Punjab last year, underscoring the growing belief that an ever-weakening Congress would leave the leadership vulnerable to state satraps with hold over local units.
- Rajasthan Engineer Arrested For Taking Bribe Of Rs 10.40 Lakh: Policeon 2022-09-26 at 21:41
The Rajasthan Anti-Corruption Bureau on Monday arrested the chief engineer of the Public Health Engineering Department and a private person while accepting a bribe of Rs 10.40 lakh, officials said.
- “Insensitivity”: Congress Slams PM Modi Over Silence On Uttarakhand Murderon 2022-09-26 at 21:19
The Congress on Monday said the silence of Prime Minister Narendra Modi and all BJP leaders on the murder of the receptionist of a resort in Uttarakhand shows their insensitivity.
- Russia detains Japanese diplomat for seeking sensitive informationby AP on 2022-09-26 at 20:58
Russia’s Foreign Ministry says Motoki Tatsunori had been declared persona non grata and ordered to leave the country within 48 hours.
- Dawood Ibrahim’s Aide Riyaz Bhati Arrested In Mumbai For Extortion: Copson 2022-09-26 at 20:16
Mumbai Police’s Anti Extortion Cell on Monday arrested businessman Riyaz Bhati in connection with an extortion case, officials said.
- Had Raised Sikh Woman’s Forced Conversion Matter With Pak: S Jaishankaron 2022-09-26 at 19:46
S Jaishankar has informed the National Commission for Minorities (NCM) that it had raised with Pakistan the forced religious conversion of a Sikh woman and conveyed that it is expected that strict…
- Amid Nationwide Raids, Bhupesh Baghel’s Warning To Central Agencieson 2022-09-26 at 19:24
Chhattisgarh Chief Minister Bhupesh Baghel on Monday said stern action will be taken if the state police receive a complaint of Central agencies targetting anyone “unnecessarily”.
- On Anti-Graft Board, Siddaramaiah’s Jab at Karnataka Chief Ministeron 2022-09-26 at 18:43
Congress’s Siddaramaiah today took the corruption allegations against the state’s BJP government to the next level, slamming it over a proposed pledge to end the alleged bribery culture in government
- Delhi Police Shares Unique Post To Advise About Lane Drivingon 2022-09-26 at 18:14
The Delhi Police is renowned for using humorous tweets to raise awareness about traffic laws and safety precautions.
- UP Man Gets Life In Prison For Raping 11-Year-Old, Burning Her To Deathon 2022-09-26 at 18:02
A court in Uttar Pradesh’s Sambhal district sentenced a 25-year-old man to life imprisonment on Monday for raping an 11-year-old girl and then burning her to death three years ago.
- Iran steps up arrests of activists, journalistsby AFP on 2022-09-26 at 17:54
Numerous activists and lawyers have also been held, including the prominent freedom of speech campaigner Hossein Ronaghi who was arrested over the weekend, reports in Persian-language media abroad said.
- Delhi-Bound Air India Flight Lands In Kannur After Bird Hiton 2022-09-26 at 17:36
A Delhi-bound plane was forced to land at the Kannur International Airport on Monday due to a bird-hit soon after take-off.
- Putin grants Russian citizenship to Edward Snowdenby AP on 2022-09-26 at 17:32
Snowden is one of 75 foreign citizens listed by the decree as being granted Russian citizenship. The decree was published on an official government website.
- Supreme Court To Live Stream Constitution Bench Hearings From Todayon 2022-09-26 at 17:29
The Supreme Court is all set to live-stream its constitution bench proceedings from today.
- Train With Restaurant Car, Vistadome Coach Starts Journey To Darjeelingon 2022-09-26 at 17:23
Tourists will now have a better opportunity to enjoy breathtaking views during their journey up the meandering tracks to Darjeeling from New Jalpaiguri in north Bengal with the introduction of a…
- Court Refuses To Stay Order Dismissing Officer Who Probed Ishrat Jahan Caseon 2022-09-26 at 17:22
The Delhi High Court Monday refused to stay the Centre’s order dismissing Satish Chandra Verma, a senior IPS officer who had assisted the CBI in its probe in the Ishrat Jahan fake encounter case, a…
- As Sri Lanka backs freedom of expression at UN, police arrest dozens of protesters at homeby Meera Srinivasan on 2022-09-26 at 17:19
Rights organisations and government critics slammed the arrests, pointing to Sri Lankan authorities’ actions evidently contradicting the Foreign Minister’s pledge at the UN forum
- Breather For Anil Ambani From Bombay High Court On Black Money Act Noticeon 2022-09-26 at 17:10
In a breather for Anil Ambani, the Bombay High Court on Monday directed the Income Tax department not to take any coercive action against him till November 17 on a show cause notice seeking to…
- Renewed militia clashes rock western Libya; five killedby AP on 2022-09-26 at 13:23
Along with the five who were killed, at least 13 other civilians were wounded in the clashes that continued overnight, Libyan Health Ministry’s emergency services said.
- Bangladesh boat capsize | Death toll rises to 39by PTI on 2022-09-26 at 13:23
- Pakistan's Opposition leader raises concerns on PMO audio leaks, demands thorough investigationby PTI on 2022-09-26 at 13:21
The former minister further claimed that the hacker who allegedly leaked these audios had more important audios which are yet to surface.
- Canada to remove all COVID border, travel measures from October 1by Reuters on 2022-09-26 at 13:19
Travellers, regardless of citizenship, will not have to go through testing, quarantine, and isolation requirements