News from: BBC, DW & France24
- COP28: Is a tripling of nuclear energy workable?on 2023-12-08 at 08:04
Twenty countries agreed at the COP28 climate summit to triple their nuclear energy capacity by 2050 to reduce carbon emissions. How feasible is the target given the complexities and cost of building new nuclear plants?
- Hunter Biden faces second federal indictment, this time on tax evasionon 2023-12-08 at 07:49
The president’s son allegedly evaded at least $1.4m in taxes while funding an “extravagant lifestyle”.
- Israel Gaza war: UPenn loses $100m donation after House testimonyon 2023-12-08 at 07:07
A major University of Pennsylvania donor withdraws grant after Congress hearing about antisemitism on campus.
- Saudi Arabia World Cup 2034: Sports minister defends state’s right to hoston 2023-12-08 at 06:35
Sports Minister Prince Abdulaziz bin Turki Al Faisal defends Saudi Arabia’s right to host the 2034 World Cup in exclusive interview with BBC sports editor Dan Roan.
- Qatar: Indian ambassador meets eight ex-naval officers on death rowon 2023-12-08 at 05:25
Media reports say the men have been charged with spying, but India and Qatar have not confirmed this.
- Disney: Elon Musk calls for boss to be fired over ad spaton 2023-12-08 at 05:13
It comes a week after the multi-billionaire launched a profane attack on advertisers that left X.
- Israel Gaza: Palestinians mourn controversial writer killed in air strikeon 2023-12-08 at 05:11
Writer and literary scholar Refaat Alareer was killed in an air strike on Wednesday, his family say.
- ‘We can’t stop’ – the Israeli woman still helping sick Palestinianson 2023-12-08 at 05:01
Volunteers used to drive sick Gazans to hospital. Hamas’s attack on 7 October changed everything.
- Hunter Biden’s tax indictment: Drugs, escorts and girlfriendson 2023-12-08 at 04:44
Mr Biden allegedly spent a fortune on “various women”, “adult entertainment”, luxury hotels and cars.
- Two arrested in France over alleged bedbug scamon 2023-12-08 at 03:18
Police in Strasbourg say the men charged victims thousands of euros for pest control they did not need.
- Zimbabwe’s CCC crisis: Farce turning to tragedy for the oppositionon 2023-12-08 at 02:51
The CCC faces by-elections after an “imposter” expels its MPs – to the delight of the ruling party.
- Africa’s week in pictures: 1-7 December 2023on 2023-12-08 at 02:49
A selection of the best photos from across the African continent this week.
- COP28: Five reasons for optimism on climateon 2023-12-08 at 02:18
Amid all the doom and gloom on climate change, there are some good reasons for cautious optimism.
- UNLV shooting: Ex-professor had ‘target list’ when he killed three on campuson 2023-12-08 at 01:19
Officials said being denied “several” jobs at various colleges may have been a motive for the shooting.
- Venezuela-Guyana crisis: South America urges peaceon 2023-12-08 at 00:27
South American countries have called for peace in the region amid heightened tensions between Venezuela and Guyana. Venezuelan voters backed the country’s territorial claim on the oil-rich Essequibo region.
- The weird materials behind sustainable furnitureon 2023-12-08 at 00:05
Seaweed, coffee bean shells and fungus are all being employed to cut the use of plastic in furniture.
- Bribie Island: Australian man dies after being buried in sandon 2023-12-08 at 00:03
Josh Taylor, 23, suffered severe injuries after he fell into a hole on Queensland’s Bribie Island.
- Anna Mani: Why you need to know this Indian weather scientiston 2023-12-07 at 22:33
Anna Mani, one of India’s first women scientists, broke barriers to blaze a trail in meteorology.
- Santos riots: Police fire tear gas at supporters riotingon 2023-12-07 at 22:27
Pele’s former football club has been relegated for the first time in 111 years, resulting in riots across Santos.
- Taiwan: The ‘God Flower’ vanishing because of climate changeon 2023-12-07 at 22:26
The Dendrobium orchid is sacred to Taiwan’s Tsou tribe, but it is getting harder and harder to find.
- Gaza conflict: ‘Finding a safe place remains elusiveon 2023-12-07 at 22:07
With Israel expanding its ground operations in the southern Gaza Strip, Palestinians are running out of safe spaces to take shelter.
- Issam Abdallah: Rights groups want Israel investigated over killed journaliston 2023-12-07 at 20:29
Amnesty and Human Rights Watch say a tank crew probably deliberately fired on Issam Abdallah.
- Israel war cabinet minister’s son killed in Gaza fightingon 2023-12-07 at 19:16
Gadi Eisenkot’s son Gal, 25, died after a tunnel shaft exploded in northern Gaza, Israeli media say.
- Hundreds queue for food in central Gaza cityon 2023-12-07 at 19:02
As hunger spreads, the UN says it can no longer run a dependable humanitarian operation.
- Moment Texas judge grants woman’s request to abortionon 2023-12-07 at 18:33
Kate Cox says her foetus has a lethal abnormality that poses a risk to her health and future fertility.
- In pictures: Germany’s Scholz lights first candle as Hanukkah celebrated around the worldon 2023-12-07 at 17:57
The Festival of Lights is marked around the world amid a difficult time for Jewish communities
- Rising Ukraine war fatigue endangering US, EU supporton 2023-12-07 at 16:12
In the US, Republicans are blocking further military aid for Ukraine. Hungary’s leader, Viktor Orban, wants to veto a comprehensive EU aid package. Is Ukraine being left in the lurch?
- Exiled leader says China is erasing Tibetan cultureon 2023-12-07 at 16:08
The leader of Tibet’s exiled government accuses Chinese authorities of imposing monoculturalism on Tibetans, eradicating ethnic identities and suppressing political activities.