News from: BBC, DW & France24
- California Gold Rush town ‘destroyed’ by state’s largest wildfireon 2021-08-05 at 16:08
The Dixie Fire, the largest burning in California, has razed much of the town of Greenville.
- US star runner Grant Holloway suffers shocking loss in Olympics hurdles raceby NEWS WIRES on 2021-08-05 at 16:06
The USA suffered deep disappointment on the track at the Tokyo Olympics on Thursday while Australian teen Keegan Palmer flew to a stunning skateboarding gold medal.
- In Malaysia, the black flag movement challenges the governmentby Cyrielle CABOT on 2021-08-05 at 16:04
As the country faces a rise in Covid-19 infections, there is mounting discontent in Malaysia with Prime Minister Muhyiddin Yassin. At the end of July, hundreds of young people took to the streets to demand his resignation in a rare display of civil dissent.
- Belarus Olympian Timanovskaya says grandmother warned her not to come homeon 2021-08-05 at 15:41
Krystina Timanovskaya says she fled after being warned it was not safe to fly home from the Olympics.
- Biden pledges 50% of US car sales to be electric by 2030on 2021-08-05 at 15:26
US President Joe Biden hopes to dramatically increase the sale of electric vehicles in the US, which account for less than 2% of car sales currently.
- Notorious ‘Ndrangheta mafia fugitive arrested after two years on the runon 2021-08-05 at 15:09
Mobster Domenico Paviglianiti, known as the “boss of the bosses”, has been arrested in Madrid.
- Andrew Cuomo faces impeachment threat as New York governoron 2021-08-05 at 15:05
Fellow Democrats are urging New York’s governor to quit or be forced out after a report into alleged harassment.
- These US police officers are responding to a gun threat, not evicting the homelesson 2021-08-05 at 14:54
A video circulating on social media claims to show American police in Venice Beach, California, armed with assault rifles evicting a tent full of homeless individuals. The video, filmed on July 25, actually shows Los Angeles Police Department (LAPD) officers responding to reports that a man was brandishing a firearm. The homeless in the video were neither arrested nor evicted from their shelter that day.
- Iran’s new hardline President Ebrahim Raisi sworn inon 2021-08-05 at 14:38
Ebrahim Raisi takes over amid heightened tensions with the West and growing discontent at home.
- Southern Europe wildfires: Which countries are affected?on 2021-08-05 at 14:32
Greece saved Olympia "for now" and Turkey put out a blaze near a power plant, but Italy is still struggling to contain the wildfires spreading in Sicily. Follow DW for the latest.
- Turkish influencer prosecuted ‘for photos at Amsterdam sex museum’on 2021-08-05 at 14:29
Merve Taskin says she faces obscenity charges in Turkey after posting “joke” photos of sex toys.
- Russian gay family flees to Spain after threatson 2021-08-05 at 14:23
The lesbian family suffered homophobic abuse after appearing in a Russian health food ad.
- France’s top court says Covid ‘health pass’ largely complies with constitutionby NEWS WIRES on 2021-08-05 at 14:22
France’s top constitutional authority on Thursday approved a Covid pass that limits access to cafes, restaurants and inter-city trains and planes to people who have been vaccinated or tested negative for the virus.
- COP26: What is the UN climate conference in Glasgow and why is it so important?on 2021-08-05 at 14:13
The annual climate change summit is being held in Glasgow – who’s going and what’s at stake?
- Iran: Ebrahim Raisi sworn in as presidenton 2021-08-05 at 14:03
President Ebrahim Raisi has become the new president of Iran during a ceremony broadcast live on TV. The ultraconservative has said he will end sanctions against Iran.
- Team USA to face France in basketball finalon 2021-08-05 at 13:50
Team USA will play France in the final of the men’s basketball as they chase their fourth consecutive gold medal.
- How the Japanese get through scorching summerson 2021-08-05 at 13:32
As temperatures climb, the Japanese turn to shaved ice, soothing wind chimes and grilled eel to stay cool, while more modern solutions include personal electric fans, chilled backpacks and "Cool Biz" attire.
- Mapping the advance of the Taliban in Afghanistanon 2021-08-05 at 13:26
Maps of Afghanistan show who controls districts in fighting between the government and Taliban forces.
- Belarus Olympic sprinter ‘happy’ to be in Polandon 2021-08-05 at 13:07
In a dramatic series of events, Krystsina Tsimanouskaya arrived in Poland after she said Belarus team officials tried to force her to leave the Tokyo Olympics.
- At least two dozen Chadian soldiers killed in suspected jihadist attackby NEWS WIRES on 2021-08-05 at 11:52
Twenty-four Chadian soldiers were killed in an attack by suspected jihadists in the troubled Lake Chad region, a senior local official said Thursday.
- What’s next for Kashmir 2 years after losing semi-autonomy?on 2021-08-05 at 11:47
India-administered Kashmir was once a state with its own constitution and special rights. Now, many Kashmiris fear a permanent loss of the region’s special status as the Indian government faces no pressure to turn back.
- Epstein meetings a huge mistake, says Bill Gateson 2021-08-05 at 10:49
The Microsoft co-founder says he should not have given the convicted sex offender “credibility”.
- France, Germany to offer vaccine booster despite WHO call to prioritise poorer nationsby NEWS WIRES on 2021-08-05 at 10:00
Germany and France will begin offering a third COVID-19 vaccine booster shot to the most vulnerable members of their populations starting in September, disregarding a WHO appeal to delay third doses until more people in poorer countries are vaccinated.
- Washington NFL team bans fans from wearing Native American dresson 2021-08-05 at 09:47
The club, which dropped the name Redskins last year, says fans can no longer wear headdresses at games.
- Pakistan orders probe into Hindu temple vandalismon 2021-08-05 at 09:46
Police said a mob stormed a Ganesh temple after the release of an 8-year-old Hindu boy accused of blasphemy. It is the latest attack against a religious minority in the Islamic republic.
- Italian former mafia boss arrested in Spainon 2021-08-05 at 09:42
The former top boss of the infamous ‘ndrangheta mafia has been arrested in Spain. He had been on the run after being released from prison due to a court error.
- Teenager Quan sets record to win women’s diving goldon 2021-08-05 at 09:03
Chinese diver Quan Hongchan, 14, sets a new world record to beat 15-year-old Chen Yuxi and win women’s diving 10m platform gold.
- Chinese media: End tax breaks for gaming firmson 2021-08-05 at 08:32
State-affiliated media in China has taken a second swipe at the gaming industry, triggering another market tumble. Investors fear further crackdowns.