News from: BBC, DW & France24
- Ukraine war: Joe Biden rules out sending F-16 fighter jetson 2023-01-31 at 01:39
Kyiv says it needs further aid to help take control of the country’s airspace from Russia.
- Budget 2023: What happened to last year’s pledges?on 2023-01-31 at 01:11
Progress has been made on broad economic indicators, but some social welfare schemes have lagged behind.
- ‘They call us garbage people’: The Syrians surviving off US army wasteon 2023-01-31 at 01:07
The war in Syria has left millions destitute and forced some to resort to US army waste for food.
- Namibia reports record level of rhino poachingon 2023-01-31 at 01:01
Rhino poaching in Namibia nearly doubled last year, according to government data.
- Tyre Nichols death: Three Memphis fire department staff firedon 2023-01-31 at 00:53
The fire department workers allegedly “failed to conduct an adequate patient assessment of Mr Nichols”.
- Biden restores protections to Alaska’s Tongass National Foreston 2023-01-31 at 00:44
Logging and road building will be once again banned in much of Alaska’s Tongass Forest.
- Another whale mysteriously washes ashore on US East Coaston 2023-01-31 at 00:24
An increase in beached whales across the US coastline has baffled researchers and environmentalists.
- Pakistan mosque blast: Police targeted in suicide attack that kills 59on 2023-01-30 at 23:53
The mosque is within a tightly guarded area of police and intelligence buildings in Peshawar.
- Pamela Anderson memoir lifts lid on fame and heartbreakon 2023-01-30 at 23:51
The 55-year-old Baywatch star is releasing both a memoir and Netflix documentary this week.
- Brazil’s Bolsonaro seeks 6-month visa to stay in USon 2023-01-30 at 23:22
Brazilian former President Jair Bolsonaro is facing a probe over the storming of Brasilia by supporters. He claims that he wishes to extend his stay in Florida for health reasons.
- LGBT people hunted by gangs and police in Egypton 2023-01-30 at 22:54
A BBC News investigation reveals how violent gangs are abusing LGBT community members they meet online.
- Former Brazilian president Jair Bolsonaro has applied for US visaon 2023-01-30 at 22:10
The ex-president, currently staying in Florida, wants to “enjoy being a tourist”, his lawyer says.
- How Egyptian police hunt LGBT people on dating appson 2023-01-30 at 22:08
The BBC has seen evidence of how officers pose as dates online to seek out and arrest their targets.
- Singapore inequality: How a tote bag sparked a debate about classon 2023-01-30 at 22:05
A teenager’s post about her first “luxury bag” has drawn tens of millions of views.
- Organ donation: ‘My daughter was shot but lives on in those she saved’on 2023-01-30 at 22:02
Could the shooting of a six-year-old girl spark change in India where organ donation is rare?
- US shooting suspect ‘killed seven after $100 bill’on 2023-01-30 at 21:37
A San Mateo County District Attorney has said the suspect was angered over a workplace dispute.
- US court dismisses J&J bankruptcy bid over talc lawsuitson 2023-01-30 at 20:49
A US appeals court dismissed the bankruptcy effort by a unit of pharmaceutical giant Johnson & Johnson. They sought bankruptcy protection after facing 40,000 lawsuits over cancer-causing talc.
- Ukraine’s envoy says Kyiv hasn’t asked Germany for jets, yeton 2023-01-30 at 20:26
Ukrainian Ambassador to Germany Oleksii Makeiev told DW that fighter jets are important, but took pressure off Chancellor Olaf Scholz to agree to immediate deliveries.
- Ukraine updates: Danish PM visits embattled Mykolaivon 2023-01-30 at 20:02
Danish Prime Minister Mette Frederiksen told Volodymyr Zelenskyy Denmark would help rebuild Mykolaiv. Meanwhile, the Kremlin dismissed Boris Johnson’s claim Vladimir Putin threatened to kill him. DW rounds up the latest.
- Incoming Czech President Pavel speaks with Taiwan’s leaderon 2023-01-30 at 19:20
The Czech President-elect Petr Pavel said his country shares "the values of freedom, democracy, and human rights" with Taiwan and pledged to boost the ties with the island.
- Swedish flag burnt in Jakarta amid Turkey Nato rowon 2023-01-30 at 18:55
Indonesia is the latest country to see anti-Sweden protests, after a Quran burning in Stockholm.
- Turkey’s opposition unveils plans to defeat Erdoganon 2023-01-30 at 18:39
A six-party coalition in Turkey aim to go against the block lead by President Recep Tayyip Erdogan and undo his two-decade legacy, including reducing the president’s powers.
- US top diplomat Blinken visits Israel, urges de-escalationon 2023-01-30 at 18:06
The US secretary of state strongly condemned recent attacks by Palestinian gunmen in east Jerusalem, but also urged restraint from Israelis in their response.
- New Czech president aims to bring back ‘truth, dignity, respect’on 2023-01-30 at 18:03
Former NATO general Petr Pavel has won a sweeping election victory, defeating the populist billionaire and ex-Prime Minister Andrej Babis in a runoff election.
- Sichuan: Couples in Chinese province allowed to have unlimited childrenon 2023-01-30 at 17:04
As part of the policy in Sichuan, unmarried individuals will also be able to raise children.
- How Germany’s ban on harmful pesticides could impact Africaon 2023-01-30 at 16:52
The German government wants to ban the export of pesticides no longer approved in the European Union. But manufacturers and distributors with their sights set on Africa as a growing sales market are not pleased.
- Poland boosts defence spending over war in Ukraineon 2023-01-30 at 16:45
It is the latest European country to say it is increasing military spending as a result of the conflict.
- Pakistan: Blast near mosque in Peshawar leaves dozens deadon 2023-01-30 at 16:01
Authorities have said the majority of the casualties in a suspected suicide attack were police officers. Many of the injured were in critical condition.