News from: BBC, DW & France24
- I learned to sing using YouTube – and now it’s my careeron 2022-05-19 at 05:20
A holiday rep who was unable to sing teaches himself then scoops two music awards.
- Cost of living: Stock markets fall amid concern over rising priceson 2022-05-19 at 04:50
US shares saw their biggest one-day drop since 2020 after renewed signs of waning consumer confidence.
- Dozens of cases of monkeypox in North America, Europe since early Mayby NEWS WIRES on 2022-05-19 at 04:09
Health authorities in North America and Europe have detected dozens of suspected or confirmed cases of monkeypox since early May, sparking concern the disease endemic in parts of Africa is spreading.
- Are European academics helping China’s military?on 2022-05-19 at 04:00
An investigation by DW and partners has found that European researchers have cooperated with China’s National University of Defense Technology. The NUDT’s purpose is to "Strengthen the Armed Forces and the Nation."
- Live: G7 ministers to discuss impact of Ukraine invasion on global economyby FRANCE 24 on 2022-05-19 at 03:50
G7 partners meet Thursday hoping to find a solution for Kyiv’s budget troubles as the fallout from Russia’s invasion of Ukraine continues to roil the global economy. Follow FRANCE 24’s liveblog for all the latest developments. All times are Paris time (GMT+2).
- Amnesty says FIFA should pay $440 million to ‘abused’ migrant workers in Qatarby NEWS WIRES on 2022-05-19 at 03:00
Rights group Amnesty International on Thursday urged football’s governing body FIFA pay compensation equal to the total 2022 World Cup prize money for migrant workers “abused” in host nation Qatar.
- Spain: Ex-King Juan Carlos to briefly visit from exileon 2022-05-19 at 02:25
Juan Carlos, the former king of Spain, will return to the country after spending nearly two years in exile in the United Arab Emirates. Carlos is set to visit his son, King Felipe VI, in Madrid.
- US mothers warned against DIY baby formulaon 2022-05-19 at 01:25
Desperate mothers are trying to mix their own baby formula, but experts warn of the dangers.
- Ukraine: Zelenskyy warns population of a long war – live updateson 2022-05-19 at 00:56
During his nightly video address, Ukrainian President Zelenskyy said "Ukraine will return" to all the territories currently occupied by Russian forces. DW has the latest on Russia’s invasion.
- Trump urges ‘Dr Oz’ to declare victory in cliffhanger Senate voteon 2022-05-19 at 00:50
But the too-close-to-call Republican primary in Pennsylvania is likely to go to a recount.
- Burkina Faso trapped miners: Wives heartbroken but praying for miracleson 2022-05-19 at 00:16
A month on after a zinc mine was flooded in Burkina Faso, relatives of those trapped refuse to give up.
- India seeks to win public trust in crisis-hit Sri Lankaon 2022-05-19 at 00:16
Sri Lanka’s giant neighbour is emerging as one of its biggest providers of aid, after years of mistrust.
- Ukraine invasion could cause global food crisis, UN warnson 2022-05-18 at 23:52
UN chief Antonio Guterres warns that developing countries face disaster due to rising prices.
- US to fly in baby formula on military contracted planes to ease shortageby NEWS WIRES on 2022-05-18 at 23:50
The US government will fly in baby formula on commercial planes contracted by the military in an airlift aimed at easing the major shortage plaguing the country, the White House said on Wednesday.
- The radio station giving indigenous people a voiceon 2022-05-18 at 23:14
A new station in Panama allows marginalised groups to speak out about their lives and communities.
- Meet Gleb and Ukraine’s youth orchestra in exile in Sloveniaon 2022-05-18 at 23:02
A large group of talented young musicians and their families have been evacuated out of Ukraine into Slovenia.
- Eintracht Frankfurt defeat Rangers on penalties to win Europa Leagueby NEWS WIRES on 2022-05-18 at 22:58
Eintracht Frankfurt beat Rangers 5-4 on penalties to win the Europa League on Wednesday after the final in Seville finished 1-1 at the end of extra time.
- Juan Carlos: Spain’s ex-king to return after two-year exileon 2022-05-18 at 22:19
Juan Carlos left Spain in 2020 after he was linked to an inquiry into alleged corruption.
- Taylor Swift graduation speech: Embrace ‘cringe’on 2022-05-18 at 22:13
New York University bestowed the renowned pop singer with an honorary degree.
- Southern France swelters under record high temperatures for Mayby NEWS WIRES on 2022-05-18 at 21:39
Several southern French towns sizzled in record high temperatures for May on Wednesday, while the month as whole is on track to be the hottest since records began, the national weather service said.
- Buffalo shooting: NY probes ‘bone-chilling’ social media roleon 2022-05-18 at 21:18
Prosecutors will ask whether social platforms were “used to stream, promote, or plan” the murders.
- Monkeypox: Portugal reports cases as outbreak spreadson 2022-05-18 at 20:41
Portuguese officials confirmed five cases of the monkeypox disease. The viral infection, rarely found in Europe, has also been reported in Spain and Britain.
- Russian soldier pleads guilty in first war crimes trial of Ukraine conflicton 2022-05-18 at 19:18
The 21-year-old admits killing an unarmed civilian, in Ukraine’s first war crimes trial since war began.
- ‘Last Hollywood star of his kind’: Tom Cruise jets into Cannes for ‘Top Gun’ sequelby Benjamin DODMAN on 2022-05-18 at 17:46
Tom Cruise touched down in Cannes on Wednesday to launch “Top Gun: Maverick”, making his first appearance in three decades at the world’s premier film festival and cementing his status as a champion of the big screen.
- Belarus introduces death penalty for ‘attempted’ terrorismby NEWS WIRES on 2022-05-18 at 17:41
Belarus has introduced the death penalty for attempts to carry out acts of terrorism – charges faced by exiled opposition leader Svetlana Tikhanovskaya, who on Wednesday joined the United States in denouncing the decision.
- EU reveals its plans to stop using Russian gason 2022-05-18 at 17:11
It will invest in pipelines in other countries but will speed up a shift to green energy.
- McDonald’s and Wendy’s sued for burger ads that mislead on sizeon 2022-05-18 at 17:07
A lawsuit accuses the firms of advertising burgers that look bigger than they actually are.
- EU unveils €300 billion plan to reduce its energy dependency on Russiaon 2022-05-18 at 16:22
The European Union plans to invest up to €300 billion to reduce its dependence on Russian fossil fuels, the European Commission announced.