News from: BBC, DW & France24
- Czech election: Ex-NATO general Pavel defeats ex-PM Babison 2023-01-28 at 11:45
Retired NATO general Petr Pavel won against former Czech Prime Minister Andrej Babis in the race for president. Babis had labeled the vote "a referendum" on his political leadership.
- AP deletes ‘the French’ tweet and apologises after it is widely mockedon 2023-01-28 at 09:24
The news agency had warned journalists that references to “the French” could be dehumanising.
- How tanks from Germany, US and UK could change the Ukraine waron 2023-01-28 at 07:22
German Leopard 2 tanks and US M1 Abrams tanks will spearhead attacks on Russia – but is it enough?
- Czechs vote in second round of presidential electionon 2023-01-28 at 05:23
Former PM Andrej Babis and retired Nato general Petr Pavel are vying for the ceremonial but influential post.
- French interior minister shocked at cat train deathon 2023-01-28 at 02:59
The death of a cat after it was run over by a train at a Paris train station has roused outrage in France. Interior Minister Gerald Darmanin voiced shock at the incident.
- Ukraine war: UN accuses Russia of breaking child protection rules over refugeeson 2023-01-27 at 22:04
Moscow is accused of giving refugees Russian passports and allowing them to be adopted.
- Ukraine war: Auschwitz anniversary marked without Russiaon 2023-01-27 at 18:04
Moscow accuses Poland of attempting to “rewrite history” after it is not invited to the event.
- Andrew Tate: Judge explains extended detention of ‘dangerous’ influenceron 2023-01-27 at 17:34
The statement is the clearest indication yet of the evidence against the British-American influencer.
- UK extremist sentenced over videos tied to US shootingson 2023-01-27 at 15:50
The far-right videos are believed to have influenced two shootings in New York and Colorado. The British 19-year-old was earlier found guilty of encouraging terrorism in his video content.
- Djokovic says father ‘misinterpreted’ over Russian flagon 2023-01-27 at 15:29
Serbian tennis star Novak Djokovic’s father Srdjan was seen in a video where he appeared to pose with a fan holding a Russian flag. Novak said his father had "no intention" of supporting the war in Ukraine.
- Finnish journalists convicted of revealing state secretson 2023-01-27 at 15:11
Two journalists working for a large Finnish newspaper have been found guilty of revealing secret information on military intelligence. Reporters Without Borders has called the verdict a "dangerous precedent."
- Holocaust remembrance ceremony at Auschwitz death campon 2023-01-27 at 11:02
Holocaust survivors took taking part in the ceremony 78 years after Soviet forces entered the concentration and extermination camp. An estimated 1.1 million people were murdered at the Auschwitz-Birkenau complex.
- Ukraine war: Zelensky’s government launches anti-corruption driveon 2023-01-27 at 06:42
The government in Kyiv is trying to tackle corruption head-on, but it’s a risky strategy.
- Hemp makes a comeback in the construction industryon 2023-01-27 at 00:07
A revival of hemp cultivation in Portugal has spurred the use of hemp blocks in construction.
- They sold a Picasso to flee the Nazis – now their heirs want it backon 2023-01-26 at 21:36
In 1938, Woman Ironing was sold to escape Germany. Now the heirs of the original owner want it back.
- How do Germany and the EU fund military gear for Ukraine?on 2023-01-26 at 20:06
Germany and its EU partners have channeled billions of euros worth of military equipment to Kyiv. That aid comes from a range of different sources.
- Germany train attack: No sign of terror motive, says prosecutoron 2023-01-26 at 19:44
A 33-year-old man of Palestinian origin is accused of stabbing multiple people on a train in northern Germany. Authorities say a 16-year-old female and a 19-year-old male were killed in the attack.
- Russia outlaws Meduza news websiteon 2023-01-26 at 17:45
Meduza, a popular independent news website based outside Russia, was deemed an "undesirable" entity. Moscow has upped its media censorship since invading Ukraine last year.
- US, German authorities block ‘Hive’ ransomware websiteon 2023-01-26 at 17:31
German prosecutors said the group was responsible for more than 1,500 cyberattacks. The US Justice Department said the seizure had thwarted over $130 million in ransom demands.
- Ukraine hit by Russian missiles day after West’s offer of tankson 2023-01-26 at 16:11
Eleven people have been killed and 11 others injured after strikes hit buildings in several regions.
- Germany arrests second suspect in Russia espionage caseon 2023-01-26 at 15:58
A German citizen is suspected of passing intelligence to Russia. Concerns about Russian espionage in Europe have increased since the invasion of Ukraine.
- German man arrested for allegedly passing intelligence to Russiaon 2023-01-26 at 15:22
The suspect is believed to have been involved in a scheme to pass German intelligence to Russia.
- Lucky escape after bus plunges into Turkey lakeon 2023-01-26 at 12:35
CCTV shows the driver lose control of the steering wheel in an accident that left no-one seriously hurt.
- Ukraine updates: German tanks to arrive in mid-springon 2023-01-26 at 08:34
Germany says Ukraine will receive promised Leopard 2 tanks by early April. Russia has meanwhile fired more missiles as it continues its invasion. DW has the latest.
- Novak Djokovic’s father Srdjan filmed at Australian Open posing for pictures with Vladimir Putin supporterson 2023-01-26 at 07:11
Novak Djokovic’s father Srdjan is filmed posing for pictures with supporters of Russia president Vladimir Putin at the Australian Open.
- Ukraine’s Odesa designated Unesco World Heritage siteon 2023-01-25 at 22:55
While Ukraine welcomes the decision, Russia says Unesco’s move is “politically motivated”.
- Spain letter bombs: Elderly man arrested over high-profile attackson 2023-01-25 at 22:34
The six devices were sent to high-profile targets late last year, including the prime minister.
- Ros Atkins on… Germany’s Ukraine tank decisionon 2023-01-25 at 21:11
The BBC’s Analysis Editor examines the background to Germany’s decision to send Leopard 2 tanks to Ukraine.
- Olympics 2024: IOC opens door to Russian and Belarusian athletes competing in Parison 2023-01-25 at 21:08
Russian and Belarusian athletes could be free to compete as neutrals at the 2024 Olympics after a statement from International Olympic Committee.
- Ukrainian tank unit fights Russians, exhaustion and the coldon 2023-01-25 at 20:35
Members of a Ukrainian armored unit fighting near Bakhmut describe the horrific situation at the frontline. They also explained why they need modern Western equipment.
- Spain probes ‘terror’ motive after church attack kills 1on 2023-01-25 at 20:11
At least one person was killed and another severely injured in a stabbing in southern Spain’s Algeciras. The country’s national court is investigating the case as a possible terror attack.
- Moscow Helsinki Group: Russia’s oldest human rights organisation told to closeon 2023-01-25 at 18:07
The Moscow Helsinki Group was founded in 1976 to monitor rights abuses in the Soviet Union.
- Gibraltar struggles with post-Brexit limboon 2023-01-25 at 15:52
As talks resume on its future, the British overseas territory fears for its sovereignty and border.
- MH17 case against Russia is admissible, European court ruleson 2023-01-25 at 15:14
The European Court of Human Rights has ruled that complaints against Russia from Ukraine and the Netherlands should go to trial. They pertain to the 2014 downing of commercial airline Flight MH17, among other things.
- MH17: Human rights court will hear Netherland’s case against Russiaon 2023-01-25 at 14:56
The Dutch government says Russian disinformation over the downing of flight MH17 is a rights violation.
- Why Germany delayed sending Leopard 2 tanks to Ukraineon 2023-01-25 at 14:51
Chancellor Olaf Scholz’s indecision has earned him criticism both nationally and internationally.
- Germany to escape recession, government projections showon 2023-01-25 at 11:21
The German economy is withstanding the aftershock of the Ukraine war better than prior projections showed.
- Ukraine updates: Germany approves sending of Leopard 2 tankson 2023-01-25 at 10:46
Germany has approved the export of Leopard 2 battle tanks to Ukraine from its own stocks as well as from third-party allies. The US Wednesday also announced that it will send dozens of M1 Abrams tanks. DW has the latest.
- Ukraine: Chris Parry and Andrew Bagshaw killed in Soledar rescue attempton 2023-01-25 at 09:09
Chris Parry and Andrew Bagshaw were killed in Soledar, eastern Ukraine, family members say.
- Life during wartime in Ukraine: Besieged in Bakhmuton 2023-01-25 at 08:52
The Ukrainian city of Bakhmut once had a population of 73,000. Around 8,000 people are still holding out there, despite offers to evacuate them. Why do they stay? Alexandra Induchova reports from Bakhmut.
- Poland pressed Germany to send Leopard tanks to Ukraineon 2023-01-24 at 20:56
Poland was prepared to send tanks to Ukraine even without Germany’s blessing. Officials in Warsaw said they couldn’t understand the hesitation by their counterparts in Berlin as fears grow that the war is coming closer.
- Germany to send Leopard 2 tanks to Ukraine — reportson 2023-01-24 at 18:20
Not-yet-confirmed news reports from several outlets say Germany’s government has decided to send Leopard 2 tanks to Ukraine along with allies. This follows a fairly long-running debate.
- Finland calls for ‘time-out’ in heated Nato talks with Turkeyon 2023-01-24 at 12:25
Finland has pledged to join Nato with Sweden, but issues with member Turkey are hampering its efforts.
- Top Ukrainian officials quit in anti-corruption driveon 2023-01-24 at 11:50
A top aide and deputy defence minister are among those to resign as Kyiv tackles corruption reports.
- Erdogan tells Sweden not to expect Nato bid supporton 2023-01-23 at 22:49
The Turkish president’s warning comes after protests in Sweden, including a Quran burning.
- Russia orders Estonian ambassador to leave countryon 2023-01-23 at 17:49
Moscow accuses Estonia of “total Russophobia” after Tallinn reduced its diplomat numbers.
- Andrey Medvedev: Russian Wagner mercenary who fled to Norway arrestedon 2023-01-23 at 15:47
A man believed to be the Wagner Group’s first defector to the West is being held by police.
- Spotify cuts jobs in latest round of tech layoffson 2023-01-23 at 14:43
The music-streaming company says it is shedding 6% of its workforce.
- Russia: Putin’s Kremlin targets LGBT in new crackdownon 2023-01-23 at 04:38
Russia has passed a new law banning so-called “propaganda of non-traditional sexual relations”.
- Spain gang bust: Ukrainians exploited in illegal tobacco operationon 2023-01-22 at 22:13
Spanish police say Ukrainian refugees worked long hours to mass-produce fake cigarettes.
- Ukraine war: Resilient civilians return to liberated town of Lymanon 2023-01-22 at 17:51
Ukrainian civilians are returning to Lyman, close to the front line, despite the threat of strikes.
- How Sicilian silence protected Mafia boss for 30 yearson 2023-01-22 at 00:53
Fear and the old code of silence helped shield Mafia boss Matteo Messina Denaro for 30 years.
- How Ukraine war led to a new Indian beer in Polandon 2023-01-22 at 00:50
Two Indians turned a crisis into opportunity when they were stuck with a shipment of rice flakes.
- Ukraine war: Hiding from Putin’s call-up by living off-grid in a freezing foreston 2023-01-22 at 00:44
Adam Kalinin has been camping in the Russian wilderness since September to avoid fighting in Ukraine.
- River Drina: ‘Embarrassment’ of beauty spot’s plastic wasteon 2023-01-21 at 17:40
An activist calls the River Drina waste an “embarrassment” and says it’s been like it for 20 years.
- Turkey condemns ‘vile’ Sweden Quran-burning proteston 2023-01-21 at 16:42
Turkey earlier called off a visit by Sweden’s defence minister Pal Jonson over the planned protest.
- The cycle-mad city in Finland that doesn’t stop for snowon 2023-01-21 at 01:36
Oulu in northern Finland has snow on the ground for five months – but that doesn’t stop residents using their bikes.
- Ukrainian soldiers receive bionic armson 2023-01-20 at 18:31
After losing their hands in a landmine explosion, Andrii and Vitalii receive 3D printed prosthetics.
- UFO-like cloud forms in Turkeyon 2023-01-20 at 16:19
The rare cloud formation creates an optical illusion that tricks viewers into thinking it looks like a UFO.
- Ros Atkins on… Brexit and the clash over EU lawson 2023-01-19 at 22:50
The BBC’s Analysis editor takes a look at the government’s plan to scrap thousands of EU-era laws.