News from: BBC, DW & France24
- Edward Snowden granted Russian citizenshipon 2022-09-26 at 17:47
The former US intelligence contractor leaked a vast US intelligence surveillance programme in 2013.
- Russia: Man shoots official at draft office amid military call-upon 2022-09-26 at 17:32
The 25-year-old was reportedly upset that his friend who had no prior military experience had received draft orders. The shooting follows Russian President Vladimir Putin’s announcement of partial mobilization.
- Nord Stream 2 pipeline leaks gas into sea off Danish coaston 2022-09-26 at 17:06
Danish maritime authorities have established a safety zone of 5 nautical miles around the island of Bornholm. The pipeline was filled with gas before the project was halted because of Russia’s invasion of Ukraine.
- Ukraine war: Russia admits mobilisation errors, amid growing public oppositionon 2022-09-26 at 17:02
Reports say people with no military experience, or who are too old or disabled, are being enlisted.
- Putin grants US whistleblower Edward Snowden Russian citizenshipby NEWS WIRES on 2022-09-26 at 16:58
President Vladimir Putin on Monday granted Russian citizenship to US whistleblower Edward Snowden, who exposed massive surveillance by the US National Security Agency and was granted refuge by Moscow.
- Italy election: German politicians voice anxiety over far right winon 2022-09-26 at 16:53
Politicians across the ideological spectrum in Germany have expressed concern about Giorgia Meloni’s electoral success. However, the far-right AfD voiced support for Meloni, who looks likely to be Italy’s next leader.
- Ukraine war: Inside Bakhmut, the battered Donbas city holding off Putin’s troopson 2022-09-26 at 16:23
The battered city is a stumbling block in Russia’s plan to take the Donbas, writes the BBC’s Orla Guerin.
- Giorgia Meloni: Italy’s far right wins election and vows to govern for allon 2022-09-26 at 15:38
Giorgia Meloni is set to lead a right-wing coalition as Italy’s first female PM.
- When Mozart teases Wagner: US volunteers work to ‘save lives’ in Ukraineby FRANCE24 on 2022-09-26 at 15:26
A volunteer organisation run by ex-soldiers, Mozart says it wants to save lives in Ukraine by offering aid and military training — choosing its name as a “tongue in cheek” nod to notorious Russian paramilitary group Wagner. The two might both be named for famous composers, but those offering their efforts in the Mozart group say that is where the similarities end.
- How Giorgia Meloni took over the Italian right – and then the countryby Benjamin DODMAN on 2022-09-26 at 15:18
Giorgia Meloni, whose far-right Brothers of Italy triumphed in Sunday’s general election, has succeeded in channelling both the aspirations of conservative voters and resentment of Mario Draghi’s unelected government, without fully renouncing her party’s neo-fascist roots.
- The return of the nuclear threaton 2022-09-26 at 14:58
Threats by Vladimir Putin during the invasion of Ukraine have put nuclear weapons — thought to be a Cold War relic — back on the map. How does deterrence work? And what kind of protection does the European Union have?
- UK: Pound falls to historic low following tax cut announcementon 2022-09-26 at 14:49
The currency took a beating from investors after the government announced plans to cut billions in tax revenues. The new Conservative Party government under Prime Minister Liz Truss has been in power for just 20 days.
- Deadly gun attack at Russian schoolon 2022-09-26 at 14:12
At least 15 people – including 11 children – are killed when a gunman opens fire at a school in Izhevsk.
- Mixed reactions abroad to Meloni winning Italian electionsby FRANCE 24 on 2022-09-26 at 13:51
Far-right Brothers of Italy leader Giorgia Meloni looks set to become Italy’s first woman prime minister at the head of the country’s most right-wing government since World War II. Reactions from elsewhere in Europe included French President Emmanuel Macron voicing “respect” for the choice of Italy’s voters, the EU Commission saying it hoped for “constructive cooperation” with the country’s next government, and Spain making a veiled criticism of Meloni and her party.
- People smuggler: I get clients to sign a waiveron 2022-09-26 at 13:35
A people smuggler lifts the lid on his trade to BBC Panorama’s Jane Corbin.
- Russia-Ukraine updates: UK imposes new sanctions over ‘referendums’ in occupied regionson 2022-09-26 at 12:30
The UK has announced new sanctions over Moscow’s "referendums" in southern and eastern Ukraine. Meanwhile, the US will provide more financial aid to Ukrainian law enforcement. DW rounds up the latest.
- Ukraine war: How to repair the Ukrainian army’s modern weaponson 2022-09-26 at 12:25
Seven months after the start of the Russian invasion of Ukraine, repairing worn-out Western weapons is becoming increasingly important. A workshop dedicated to this upkeep is planned for the Polish-Ukrainian border.
- Ukraine: People describe life under Russian occupation in Kharkiv Oblaston 2022-09-26 at 12:25
Ukraine launched a successful counteroffensive to retake the Kharkiv region in September. Two women from the recently liberated city of Balakliya recount the horrors of life under Russian occupation.
- Giorgia Meloni pledges to govern ‘for all Italians’on 2022-09-26 at 10:49
The far-right leader claims victory in Italy’s general election with her Brothers of Italy party.
- France says controlling inflation is main priority for 2023 budgetby NEWS WIRES on 2022-09-26 at 10:03
The fight against inflation is the biggest priority, France’s finance minister said on Monday, as he delivered a 2023 budget subject to what he called ‘unprecedented uncertainty’ due to the fallout from Russia’s war against Ukraine.
- Gunman opens fire on Russian school, children among victimsby NEWS WIRES on 2022-09-26 at 09:40
The death toll has risen to 15 people, including 11 children, after a man opened fire Monday at his former school in central Russia, authorities said.
- Italy elections: Who is Giorgia Meloni ?by FRANCE24 on 2022-09-26 at 08:41
A right-wing alliance led by Giorgia Meloni’s Brothers of Italy party looks set to win a clear majority in the next parliament, exit polls said on Sunday (September 25) after voting ended in an Italian national election. FRANCE 24’s Europe Editor Catherine Nicholson reports from Rome.
- Russia: Children killed in shooting at school in Izhevskon 2022-09-26 at 08:20
Over a dozen people, including several children, were reported dead after a gunman broke into a school in central Russia. Emergency services are on the scene.
- British pound hits record low against US dollar, prompting recession fearsby NEWS WIRES on 2022-09-26 at 07:44
The pound hit a record low against the dollar Monday on surging fears about the UK economy after the government unveiled a huge tax-cutting budget.
- Italy election: Meloni says center-right bloc has ‘clear’ mandateon 2022-09-26 at 06:46
Giorgia Meloni, leading a center-right coalition, is on track to become Italy’s first woman prime minister ever and its first far-right leader since Benito Mussolini. The main center-left group has conceded defeat.
- Live: Pro-Kremlin businessman confirms he founded Wagner Groupby FRANCE 24 on 2022-09-26 at 06:14
Russian businessman Yevgeny Prigozhin, an ally of President Vladimir Putin, said on Monday he had founded the Wagner mercenary group and confirmed its deployment to countries in Latin America and Africa. Follow our live blog for all the latest developments. All times are Paris time (GMT+2).
- Police clash with protestors outside Iranian embassies in London and Parisby NEWS WIRES on 2022-09-26 at 05:23
Police clashed with demonstrators trying to reach Iran’s embassies in London and Paris on Sunday.
- Italy election: Who is Giorgia Meloni, the star of the far right?on 2022-09-26 at 05:20
With the populist slogan "Italy and Italians first!" Meloni has called for low taxes and a halt to immigration. Critics warn she is flirting with Italy’s fascist history.
- Italy election: Exit polls show right-wing alliance set to win — as it happenedon 2022-09-25 at 21:14
The center-right coalition led by Giorgia Meloni is set to win the majority in the Italian elections. Exit polls put Meloni’s Brothers of Italy on top, at 24.6% of the vote.
- Italy’s far-right coalition led by Meloni wins election, exit polls sayby NEWS WIRES on 2022-09-25 at 21:07
A right-wing alliance led by Giorgia Meloni’s Brothers of Italy party looks set to win a clear majority in the next parliament, exit polls said on Sunday after voting ended in an Italian national election.
- Vincent Van Quickenborne: Four arrested in Belgian minister ‘kidnap plot’on 2022-09-25 at 19:11
The minister is under tighter police surveillance after a “serious threat”, federal prosecutors say.
- Anti-mobilization protest in Russia: Warning shots fired in Dagestanon 2022-09-25 at 18:02
In the southern Russian region of Dagestan, police have clashed with people who were protesting against Russia’s partial mobilization.
- Belarusian propaganda targets Polandon 2022-09-25 at 17:26
Historical resentments are being stirred up against Poland, with Belarusian leader Alexander Lukashenko suspecting some of being subversive agents. What’s behind the government propaganda, and is it achieving its goals?
- Swiss voters support increase in women’s retirement ageon 2022-09-25 at 16:12
Swiss have voted in favor of the proposal by a narrow margin in a referendum. Another proposal, on imposing stricter regulations on livestock farming, failed to pass.
- Inspired by Tolkien, Meloni is on a quest for Italy’s ‘ring of power’by Sébastian SEIBT on 2022-09-25 at 15:55
Giorgia Meloni, the favourite to lead Italy’s next government, has made no secret of her passion for fantasy author J.R.R. Tolkien, whose classic The Lord of the Rings has long been a favourite of Italy’s post-fascist right – despite the British author’s distaste for extremist politics.
- Roger Waters concerts canceled in Poland because of his Ukraine commentson 2022-09-25 at 15:31
Roger Waters’ concerts in Poland have been canceled after he commented on the war in Ukraine. Krakow City Council has said it will discuss declaring the Pink Floyd musician "persona non grata."
- Roger Waters gigs in Poland cancelled amid Ukraine backlashon 2022-09-25 at 12:23
The musician was due to play gigs in Poland but faces outrage over his comments on the Ukraine war.
- Russia-Ukraine updates: Zelenskyy urges Russians to defy ‘criminal mobilization’on 2022-09-25 at 11:37
The Ukrainian president has promised to protect Russian soldiers who voluntarily surrender. Meanwhile, pro-Russian authorities have accused Ukraine of targeting a hotel in Kherson. DW has the latest.
- Ukraine war: Ukraine will treat Russian deserters fairly, Zelensky vowson 2022-09-25 at 09:08
Ukraine says it will not force deserters to return to Russia where they would face prison.
- Top Russian lawmakers voice concern over mobilisation ‘excesses’by FRANCE 24 on 2022-09-25 at 06:48
Ukraine and Russia traded accusations on Sunday of attacks on civilians in southern Ukraine as Russian-occupied territories hold referendums on joining Russia that Western leaders have dismissed as staged attempts to annex more territory.
- Italy votes in legislative elections that could bring the far-right to powerby NEWS WIRES on 2022-09-25 at 05:37
Turnout for elections in Italy on Sunday hovered at just above 51 percent at 7pm local time, according to the interior ministry, with the country poised to usher in its first far-right government since World War II, bringing eurosceptic populists to the heart of Europe.
- Ukraine war: Could Russia use tactical nuclear weapons?on 2022-09-25 at 00:30
President Putin has been stoking fears that he will use tactical nuclear weapons in the Ukraine war.
- ‘We demand wages for housework’on 2022-09-24 at 23:02
In the 1970s, an international campaign demanded that governments recognise the value of unpaid work done in the home, primarily by women.
- Russian mines in Ukraine: ‘The threat is pervasive’on 2022-09-24 at 19:01
In Ukraine, entire regions have been contaminated with Russian mines. Germany wants to help clear them, but the task is daunting.
- Stone slab laid at Queen Elizabeth’s burial siteon 2022-09-24 at 18:50
The stone records the birth and death dates of the late queen, who ruled for 70 years and died at the age of 96. It also features the names of her parents and husband.
- Mali’s military PM Maiga lashes out at France and UNon 2022-09-24 at 16:49
Malian Prime Minister Abdoulaye Maiga said the country had been "stabbed in the back" by Paris following the withdrawal of French troops. He also slammed UN chief Antonio Guterres over a spat with the Ivory Coast.
- Dmitry Bulgakov: Putin fires deputy defence chief amid supply failureson 2022-09-24 at 15:44
Analysts have cited supply chains as a reason why Russia’s invasion of Ukraine has faltered.
- Undercover with Russia’s fake arms dealerson 2022-09-23 at 23:17
Russian media claims Ukraine is selling arms on the dark web, but the evidence suggests the ads are fake.
- Magnus Carlsen and Hans Niemann: The cheating row that’s blowing up the chess worldon 2022-09-23 at 21:23
Magnus Carlsen’s apparent accusation against Hans Niemann is the biggest chess scandal in years.
- Ukraine war round-up: Disputed polls open and climate of ‘total fear’on 2022-09-23 at 18:58
Referendums begin in occupied Ukraine and activists speak of a climate of fear in Russia over the military call-up.
- Alexei Ratmansky: The challenges of staging Ukrainian ballet during waron 2022-09-23 at 14:21
The former Bolshoi Ballet artistic director says working while the war is ongoing is “very challenging”.
- Ukraine war: Crown prince crucial in Ukraine prisoner deal, Saudis sayon 2022-09-23 at 11:17
Mohammed bin Salman was personally involved in a prisoner release, the Saudi foreign minister says.
- Silvio Berlusconi: Ex-PM defends Russian war on eve of Italian electionon 2022-09-23 at 10:20
Italy’s former PM said Vladimir Putin wanted to replace the Kyiv government with “decent people”.
- What Russia wants from the votes in occupied Ukraineon 2022-09-23 at 05:59
Russia is losing its war in Ukraine and now four regions are holding self-styled referendums.
- Bellator Dublin: Melvin Manhoef faces Yoel Romero in rescheduled bout after injury stopping burglarson 2022-09-23 at 05:41
Melvin Manhoef tells BBC Sport how he apprehended three burglars in March, before his fight against Yoel Romero at Bellator 285 in Dublin on Friday.
- Ukraine war: ‘What’s happening in Russia now is total fear’on 2022-09-22 at 23:06
In Lithuania, Russians opposing Vladimir Putin’s war say their home country is “like a huge prison”.
- Child heard crying as mobilised Russian men leave to fighton 2022-09-22 at 18:33
A child can be heard crying ‘Daddy, goodbye’ in a video shared on Russian social media
- Ukraine war: Mum of Aiden Aslin thought son’s release ‘would never happen’on 2022-09-22 at 17:11
Aiden Aslin is now looking to rebuild his life with his fiancée after they were reunited, his mum says.
- Ukraine war: Released Briton felt ‘a moral obligation to help’on 2022-09-22 at 15:35
Journalist Simon Ostrovsky tells the BBC what motivated Aiden Aslin to fight with Ukrainian forces.
- Ukraine war: ‘I will break my arm, my leg… anything to avoid the draft’on 2022-09-22 at 14:19
Russian men explain how they are trying to resist Vladimir Putin’s call-up of 300,000 military reservists.