News from: BBC, DW & France24
- China: 15 dead in Nanjing building fireon 2024-02-24 at 03:31
Footage circulating on Chinese social media showed several floors of the residential skyscraper, in Nanjing city, consumed in flames and smoke billowing out of it.
- Philippines: Is Marcos Jr. the EU’s new best friend?on 2024-02-23 at 15:10
Philippines’ President Ferdinand Marcos Jr. has managed to improve his country’s relations with the West. But what’s this sudden friendship based on — and will it last?
- India’s angry farmers brace for long, dangerous proteston 2024-02-23 at 14:41
Farmers in India say they feel cheated by the government after waiting years for their demands on minimum pricing to be met. They are once again faced with barricades and tear gas as they try to reach New Delhi.
- Top sumo wrestler demoted due to student’s violenceon 2024-02-23 at 13:45
Japan’s sumo association demoted Hakuho in his role as a trainer and forced him to take a pay cut.
- Decoding China: China’s top diplomat polishes image at MSC24on 2024-02-23 at 12:33
In what could be his last appearance on the global stage, Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi used last week’s Munich Security Conference to portray China as a guarantor of global stability.
- Shamima Begum: Former ‘IS’ wife loses UK citizenship appealon 2024-02-23 at 11:00
The removal of the British-born woman’s citizenship was "harsh" but not unlawful, a judge has said. Begum fled for Syria as a teenager in 2015 to join the "Islamic State."
- India confirms citizens have joined Russian militaryon 2024-02-23 at 09:53
New Delhi has confirmed that some of India’s citizens have signed up for "support jobs" with the Russian army. The Indian government says it is working with Moscow to secure their discharge.
- The young Bollywood star taking on Hollywoodon 2024-02-23 at 09:43
Actress Alia Bhatt, adored by fans in India, is making her mark around the world.
- Policeman charged with murder of missing Sydney coupleon 2024-02-23 at 09:11
Australian TV personality Jesse Baird and his boyfriend Luke Davies were last seen on Monday.
- Bengal famine: Searching for lost voices from WW2’s forgotten tragedyon 2024-02-23 at 07:51
Three million died in the 1943 Bengal famine – one man is collecting the remaining survivors’ tales.
- Dozens of cars pile up after icy Chinese highway crashon 2024-02-23 at 07:47
At least nine people were injured in the incident, which Chinese state media said involved over 100 cars.
- Indian zoo asked to change lions’ ‘blasphemous’ nameson 2024-02-23 at 06:22
The two lions were named after the Hindu deity Sita and Akbar, a 16th Century Mughal ruler.
- Tourist paralysed after Thailand motorbike crashon 2024-02-23 at 06:20
Lee Francis says the crash that has paralysed him from the waist down has “broken his heart”.
- Scientists unveil 240-million-year-old dragon-like reptileon 2024-02-23 at 03:37
The fossils of the reptile called Dinocephalosaurus orientalis were originally identified in 2003. The discovery of more complete specimens since then has allowed scientists to fully describe the creature.
- India town out on streets over elephant attackson 2024-02-23 at 01:00
Recent deaths due to wild animal attacks have sparked massive protests in Kerala’s Wayanad district.
- China tech firm claimed it could hack Foreign Officeon 2024-02-22 at 21:46
A Chinese company claimed it had the ability to hack the UK’s Foreign Office, leaked documents suggest.
- China: Several dead after ship hits bridge in Guangzhouon 2024-02-22 at 16:11
Part of the bridge, which had to be refortified in 2022 amid safety concerns, collapsed. It is located on the Hongqili Waterway in a key industrial area.
- How is Myanmar’s civil war impacting Bangladesh?on 2024-02-22 at 12:58
Fighting between Myanmar’s junta and rebel groups in Rakhine state is growing more intense. Neighboring Bangladesh may soon need to reach out to rebels on security and refugee issues.
- The Taylor Swift drag tribute dazzling Asiaon 2024-02-22 at 11:01
The Eras tour is skipping most of South East Asia. Luckily, Taylor Sheesh is there to fill the gap.
- US Republican lawmaker says China ‘bullying’ Taiwanon 2024-02-22 at 08:33
US Representative Mike Gallagher of Wisconsin has reached Taipei with a delegation of other lawmakers to meet Taiwan’s president and president-elect.
- Australian bishop Christopher Saunders charged with rapeon 2024-02-22 at 07:46
The high-ranking Catholic was arrested after a long investigation and has always denied wrongdoing.
- India state bans candy floss over cancer riskon 2024-02-22 at 05:55
Tamil Nadu bans the pink sugary treat for containing a carcinogen, while others are planning to do so.
- Why US politicians are on a pilgrimage to Taiwanon 2024-02-22 at 01:19
Representative Mike Gallagher, head of the House’s China committee, is the latest one to make the trip
- Historical sites in Afghanistan ‘bulldozed for looting’on 2024-02-21 at 23:01
Satellite images show damage has continued under the Taliban, according to researchers at Chicago University.
- Climate crisis: Japan bets big with bonds for clean techon 2024-02-19 at 12:24
Japan is the first in the world to issue sovereign bonds aimed at funneling private money into the green transition to help tackle climate change.
- Pakistan: Challenges ahead for new coalition governmenton 2024-02-15 at 14:29
Pakistan’s 2024 election result has added political instability to a nation already dealing with an economic crisis and rising militancy. The new coalition government may be too weak to find the necessary solutions.
- What does Subianto’s 2024 election win mean for Indonesia?on 2024-02-15 at 14:05
Prabowo Subianto’s likely 2024 election victory is a pivotal moment for Indonesia. A retired general with ties to former dictator Suharto, Subianto has promised to continue the populist policies of President Joko Widodo.
- South Korea to tighten punishment for industrial espionageon 2024-02-14 at 12:00
Authorities have come up with new legislation to fend off suspected efforts from Chinese and other foreign entities to acquire sensitive technologies.